Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will this work?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work?

I just installed the new Smittybilt XRC and am a little concerned about the gap between the bumper and the body of the jeep in the rear. I currently have approx 1/8" gap between them, but I think when I hit a big bump that they are hitting. Would it work for me to put a couple of washers on the body mount and basically give the rear another 1/8"-1/4" body lift? I think this would solve my problem with the gap, but have never used any type of body lift and was unsure if it would cause any problems. I don't think this little difference in height would be visible overall, but I think it would help out with my gap. Any advice?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idea is sound but if the bumper and body are contacting you may have other issues. With all of the bolts tight the bumper is basically a rigid part of the frame. Go back and check all of the mounting bolts. If you missed one of the side plates it could rattle inside the frame on bumps.

The noise you are hearing might be the tire carrier. Mine is noisy over bumps but there isn't much you can do about it. Loosen the two hinge bolts, pop off the retaining ring and pull off the whole carrier and tire. Go for a quick drive. If you still have a noise something is wrong with the bumper mounting.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vernnz
The idea is sound but if the bumper and body are contacting you may have other issues. With all of the bolts tight the bumper is basically a rigid part of the frame. Go back and check all of the mounting bolts. If you missed one of the side plates it could rattle inside the frame on bumps.

The noise you are hearing might be the tire carrier. Mine is noisy over bumps but there isn't much you can do about it. Loosen the two hinge bolts, pop off the retaining ring and pull off the whole carrier and tire. Go for a quick drive. If you still have a noise something is wrong with the bumper mounting.
I am sure that all of the bolts are tight. I had a few issues with rattles at first but found the largest problem to be the extra play in the handle assembly. I added a few nylon washers to eliminate the play and solved that problem. I'm also fairly certain that the thuds I'm still hearing are coming from the tire carrier moving on the shaft. I have tightened that to leave the desired amount of swing in the carrier, but still think it's moving up and down. I actually have got Smittybilt sending me another one of the nylon washers b/c I still have a small gap at the top right under the retaining clip. Hopefully by adding that I can keep the carrier from moving so much and can eliminate the play.

From looking, it does look like the bumper has hit the body. The paint is not gone or anything, but when flexing CAN the bumper hit the body? If so, I thought the extra 1/8"-1/4" in the rear would help.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I doubt your tire carrier is moving up and down. Swing it out 90 degrees. How ever you are comforatable try to lift the spare and carrier. I doubt you will move it with casual effort.

Sorry to use this word again but...RIGID. Follow the below procedures only if you are confident in what you are doing.

Open the tire carrier and step up onto the bumper. Bounce on it or rock the Jeep. If you hear your noise, find it.

CAUTION: Chock the front tires. If you have a floor jack put it under the hitch and jack up as high as you are comfortable. Did the gap change between the bumper and body? No.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, aside from weather or not the tire carrier moving is the cause of my noise, can the body be hitting the bumper when I hit big bumps? If so that's more of a concern than the noise I'm hearing.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

The body is on rubber mounts, so it can move some. But it would take quite a jolt to get it to move like you describe.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

My rear HighRock is real close to the body also. I would prefer more room also.

I got a rear bumper for protection of the side pannels kinda like rock guards. After taking off the stock bumper I am shocked my real pannels are not bent as there is no protection from that stocker.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I put my xrc rear bumper/tire carrier on about 3 weeks ago and have had no issues, The fit is tight, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. If your latch does not fit tight that could be the noise that you are hearing.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My latch fitment was so far off, I took a die grinder with a diamond bit and cut out a hole new way for it to latch. I have to put my all my weight and shoulder into the spare to latch it. It's one tight mofo now, no rattle at all.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

I have no rattles at all. I can't image hitting something hard enough to move the body into the bumper. It might be possible, don't really know....

Quick Reply: Will this work?