Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will a tuner help?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a tuner help?

Hey guys I've got a 2012 jeep jkur I just added a k&n cai and a dynomax cat back exhaust. Is there a tuner that I could program that'd tell my engine it has a different intake and exhaust? Would it even help if I did that? This is kind of outside of my area of expertise. I also have a 3" lift and 35" tires and it just seems like it'd help to let the computer know what the engine is pushing. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there is. right now your jeeps speedometer is off and if you have an automatic the shift points are off as well. check out Hypertech
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColeRedRubi
Hey guys I've got a 2012 jeep jkur I just added a k&n cai and a dynomax cat back exhaust. Is there a tuner that I could program that'd tell my engine it has a different intake and exhaust? Would it even help if I did that? This is kind of outside of my area of expertise. I also have a 3" lift and 35" tires and it just seems like it'd help to let the computer know what the engine is pushing. Thanks!
Hypertech Jeep Performance Parts at Morris 4x4 Center

Hypertech is the way to go for the 3.6L
Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center
Hypertech Jeep Performance Parts at Morris 4x4 Center

Hypertech is the way to go for the 3.6L

Your website doesn't say that the Hypertech is compatible with the 3.6L. States only 2007 through 2010. does it actually work with the newer engine?

Also, the OP added a CAI and exhaust....does the Hypertech allow for those kind of adjustments? when I had mine, it was more for speedo adjustments coming from tire changes and gear swaps. Not exhaust mods. It did have pre-programmed power mods but that had nothing do do with adjusting for exhaust/intake.

From what I've heard, the Jeep's computer will ultimately "learn" the new air flow coming from the CAI and exhaust so there is no need to adjust for it with a programmer but maybe that is wrong.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ColeRedRubi
Cole,

You also want to look into the DiabloSport Intune Tuner. It does all the things the Hypertech does, but is compatible with the 2012 Wranglers with the 3.6L engine.

Diablo makes a great product with a easy to use interface and great instructions. They also have great customer service and are always willing to help their customers out.

It comes with tunes loaded for power,towing, fuel economy and others. You can use the tuner to adjust for tire size and gear ratio, adjust idle for winching, cooling fan on/off, and a ton of other things.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. I'll be happy to help!

-Zach
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20

Your website doesn't say that the Hypertech is compatible with the 3.6L. States only 2007 through 2010. does it actually work with the newer engine?

Also, the OP added a CAI and exhaust....does the Hypertech allow for those kind of adjustments? when I had mine, it was more for speedo adjustments coming from tire changes and gear swaps. Not exhaust mods. It did have pre-programmed power mods but that had nothing do do with adjusting for exhaust/intake.

From what I've heard, the Jeep's computer will ultimately "learn" the new air flow coming from the CAI and exhaust so there is no need to adjust for it with a programmer but maybe that is wrong.
Yeah can anyone clarify on this jeep computer learning thing? Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

The computer learn thing is basically the computer using new info to write over old to make proper long term running changes. Its basically why running the first few thousand miles gave an extra spark knock, lower mileage, maybe a bit less power. It grew off of its baseline.

As far as adding a cai and exhaust, (in my experience) you get a small boost out of them, but you will enjoy the addition of a programmer to get the most out. At the same time, you're not adjusting for the mods until you replace something after the intake sensory. You'll notice gains with just the tuner and no other mods.

Final two cents. Get one unless you fear warranty issues. If you do, then don't.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
The computer learn thing is basically the computer using new info to write over old to make proper long term running changes. Its basically why running the first few thousand miles gave an extra spark knock, lower mileage, maybe a bit less power. It grew off of its baseline.

As far as adding a cai and exhaust, (in my experience) you get a small boost out of them, but you will enjoy the addition of a programmer to get the most out. At the same time, you're not adjusting for the mods until you replace something after the intake sensory. You'll notice gains with just the tuner and no other mods.

Final two cents. Get one unless you fear warranty issues. If you do, then don't.
Alright thanks! Which brand would you recommend?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Having no experience with either on the jeep platform, speaking from experience with other cars I've had, diablo seems to be more complete to me. I've never had the best of luck with superchips or hypertech, but it seems to be different here.

When it comes time for me to want to tune (a couple years) I'm going to see if the people at dynatronics have cracked into the Chrysler computer yet and drive to them to get a full tuning on the dyno. It'll cost the same just gotta drive for it.

I'll point you towards Diablo for plug in programmers anyday though.

Quick Reply: Will a tuner help?