Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will taking the caliper off turn on ESP BAS?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgtweet
Center it with wheels on ground. I had same light when I put my lift on... centered steering and it went away. Not sure how much "stuff" you removed during the lift install... Make sure you didn't damage the wire going to the abs sensor on the spindle. I think it is clipped on the upper part of the brake line (front sendors). I know if this or the sensor is bad... you will get the lights. Just something else to check... If that is bad, dont panic, the wire and sensor come as one assy and costs 9.00. Have to remove the rotor to replace it though.
you said to have the tires on the ground, do i need the engine on? or the key turned on? i wonder if thats why im still havin trouble cuz i did it in the air? thanks for the advise man, i appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

You know... I think I kept mine running. Parked with wheels center and followed instructions on wayoflifes write up. Just be careful under there... Emergency brake on!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by greengiant
ill give that a shot. i know i turned that drag link way to much...i hope it doesnt screw anything up.
how much lift do you have on your jeep?

one more thing...when i adjusted the steering wheel, i had the front wheels off the ground..should it have been running? or does it not matter? this seems like a really stupid question.
on the ground and it really doesn't matter if your engine is on or not.

you said to have the tires on the ground, do i need the engine on? or the key turned on? i wonder if thats why im still havin trouble cuz i did it in the air? thanks for the advise man, i appreciate it!
engine off is what i like to do only so that i can hear from my helper to let me know how much further i need to go or when i am there.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
how much lift do you have on your jeep?

on the ground and it really doesn't matter if your engine is on or not.

engine off is what i like to do only so that i can hear from my helper to let me know how much further i need to go or when i am there.
Ive got the Teraflex 2.5 Coil lift...since you guys said i should have it on the ground, i bet thats why im havin the trouble i am since its on the jack..i cant wait to go home and try it!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cgtweet
You know... I think I kept mine running. Parked with wheels center and followed instructions on wayoflifes write up. Just be careful under there... Emergency brake on!
when you started, did you have the wheels straight or the steering wheel where it was supposed to be?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, pull into your garage, or driveway or wherever your working on it and have someone keep an eye on your tires....make sure they are dead straight ahead, if your steering wheel is off center at this point don't worry.....turn the engine off....unlock the steering wheel by turning key forward, but don't start it, you just want to ensure you steering wheel is unlocked.....pop underneath and loosen the two draglink bolts, don't remove them....rotate the drag link one way or the other until the steering wheel centers....thats it, lock it all down and test drive.
That's the only process you need to straighten your wheel...if you guys did anything else, take it to an alignment shop to sort it out now.
The only other thing that hasn't been mentioned, though it shouldn't throw your ESP off...is your axle centered under your vehicle?
dude...give this a read over....http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...I just read back through some of your lift install posts.
When you were having trouble getting your front springs in and drooped the axle as low as you could go by removing the caliper...what you may not have known is that the ABS sensor is in the hub assembly, you may have stretched the wire to it too much and possibly broken it....it's really the only other thing left hooked up on your axle that would break if it was strethced too far....if you've re-centered you wheel and are confident it's correct, and everything else is adjusted accordingly and none of the suggestions above have cleared that ESP light, then you may need to look at those ABS wires
Old 10-14-2009, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Ok...I just read back through some of your lift install posts.
When you were having trouble getting your front springs in and drooped the axle as low as you could go by removing the caliper...what you may not have known is that the ABS sensor is in the hub assembly, you may have stretched the wire to it too much and possibly broken it....it's really the only other thing left hooked up on your axle that would break if it was strethced too far....if you've re-centered you wheel and are confident it's correct, and everything else is adjusted accordingly and none of the suggestions above have cleared that ESP light, then you may need to look at those ABS wires
im not sure what happened...but when i left work yesterday the light shut off and did not come back on. thanks for all your input...ill print it off incase the light shows back up!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

Awesome...

Quick Reply: Will taking the caliper off turn on ESP BAS?