Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will Stock Tire Carrier hold 35's?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Stock Tire Carrier hold 35's?

Will the stock tire carrier hold a 35" tire or will I have to replace it?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will hold the 35 spare and the bumper actually helps support the tire a little. I have had mine on there now for quite awhile and have hit some pretty severe bumps on some back roads. I do plan on getting a new rear bumper with tire carrier as soon as I have the money together. So far I can seen no signs of a problem but the 35 is a lot heaver than the original was,
Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Yes it will work but it will break eventually. Like said before 35's are a lot heavier and the original carrier will only last so long
Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

there is a cheaper option then a new bumper as well its a spare tire bracket i MBRP makes it it gives a little extra support to the tire carrier...i have one i can sell ya if ya want it ha
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

I did not want a bumper mounted tire carrier so I bought the RC carrier. It replaces the stock mount on the tailgate, raised the tire a bit so that it does not rub the bumper, extends the height of the brake light and comes with an extension cable for the brake light.

I am pleased with it.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I currently have a 33" Duratrac on it....and it's a 10ply tire...so pretty heavy already...i was worried about the increased size.

Sounds like it will work....good....i dont want to buy new tires and then have to buy a new bumper right away.....my pockets are empty as is!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matador
Sounds like it will work....good....i dont want to buy new tires and then have to buy a new bumper right away.....my pockets are empty as is!
I hear you on that brother! After I bought the lift and tires, I was not in the market for a new bumper. And now it's been going strong for about a year, no issues.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

35" MT MTZ on 17" with 4" BS did NOT fit on the rear carrier. I didn't bother to try buying a bracket to relocate, just ordered a PureJeep rear with tire carrier. Yeh, I was just looking for an excuse.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 35" Toyo MT with a Moto Metal rim that is mounted on my stock tail gate mounted tire carrier. I did purchase a 3rd brake light/tire spacer kit that also brings the tire out a little further from the bumper. It works just fine, but I do plan on getting the Rugged Ridge XHD with tire carrier next year sometime though. I consider using the stock carrier as a temporary fix to not having the money for a new bumper at the present time.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tangomike3
I did not want a bumper mounted tire carrier so I bought the RC carrier. It replaces the stock mount on the tailgate, raised the tire a bit so that it does not rub the bumper, extends the height of the brake light and comes with an extension cable for the brake light.

I am pleased with it.
What do you have or do you have a picture?

Quick Reply: Will Stock Tire Carrier hold 35's?