Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will this spacer work for spare tire?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this spacer work for spare tire?

I have a dilemma with my cb antenna rubbing on the spare tire due to the Teraflex cb antenna mount sticking out too far (see my thread in the electronics forum). Several members had great suggestions to bend and weld and modify all sorts of things, but all I need is to push the spare tire out about 1/4" for the antenna to not rub.

I don't want to get a 1" or 1.5" spacer with longer lugs, since I think that would be overkill and I would probably have to extend the tire bump stops. I found this alternative on eBay and was wondering if the lugs on the tire carrier are long enough to have sufficient threads to safely hold the spare tire.

The spacer is 5/16" thick (8mm). I think that would be sufficient to push the tire out just enough to make the cb antenna fit without rubbing. I just hope there's sufficient threads to hold the tire securely.

Also, do you think I would need to extend the bump stops, or are they compressed enough where they would still touch the tire even with this spacer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	a7a3_1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	7457

What do you think?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use one on my spare. I have a spare tire mounted bike rack that hits the third brake light without the spacer. The tire still compresses the bump stops a bit.

Last edited by Dante; 03-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Will this spacer work for spare tire?