Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will this rim work ?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will this rim work ?

I'm looking at a 17x9 inch rim, 5x127 bolt pattern, 5.47 backspacing and a -12mm offset. I plan on running 35 inch tires with a 3 inch lift. Will I need spacers for these rims or is there enough backspacing ? Also what does the -12mm offset mean ? Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Question ?

Anyone have any comments about these rim dimensions ?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

those will work fine that would give you a 4" back spacing

-12 mm = - 1/2"

negative offset pushs the wheel away from the jeep

with a 9" wide wheel half of that would be 4.5" minus the -12mm offset you get 4"
Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Backspacing vs offset

I disagree with Mudpuppy's math. I talked to a wheel mfg and they set me straight. Here you go: If the wheel is 9" you add 1" to it then divide it in half to find the center. The extra inch is a estimate for the rim lip thickness, for both outer and inner lips of the rim. The rim width , of 9", is measured on the inside of the rim lip. The Backspacing is measured form the mounting face to the back edge of the rim lip. Therefore the specs that Dj4sin gave don't add up. Take the 9" add 1"= 10" then dide by 2= 5" center line. To get the stated 5.47 inch backspacing you would have to add the 12mm to ther center line making it a +12mm not a nagative 12mm. I researched this alot before I had a set of 20"X10" rims made for my JK. Trust me it works. I would sugest that Dj4sin call the Mfg of the rims and verfiy the specs. Truly the only one you need to worry about is the backspacing, you need no more than 4.5 if you don't want to run any spacers on the wheels to use 35x12.50 tires. IMHO Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Quick Reply: Will this rim work ?