Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will Rancho 4" RS9000XL shocks work with 3.5" suspension lift + 1" BL?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Rancho 4" RS9000XL shocks work with 3.5" suspension lift + 1" BL?

Because the shocks I am using were from the 2" lift kit I used to run, so I think a new set of longer shocks are needed for my current 3.5" suspension lift and 1" BL. I think the RS9000XL shocks for the 4" lift from Rancho are nice ones, but they actually said those shocks are for the 4" lift, I don't know if they will work with my lift height or not? Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

4 inch lift shocks would work with 3.5 inch lift fine...
the teraflex shocks go for a 2.5 inch lift to a 4 inch i beleive until you get into the long arm lifts
body lift has nothing to do with the suspinsion or length of anything it just lifts your body off the frame an inch
Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

a body lift will have no bearing on whether or not you can run these shocks. having said that, just like tires, just because a lift is sold as 3.5" does not mean that is what you got. most tend to sit on the taller side of things but, there are some that are on the shorter side and if you're loaded up with heavy bumpers and the like, that would make a difference too. what you need to do is find out what the collapsed and extended lenght of the shocks you want are and then compare that to what you have now. that will give you a pretty good idea of whether or not you can use them based on the amount of travel you will gain or loose.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
a body lift will have no bearing on whether or not you can run these shocks. having said that, just like tires, just because a lift is sold as 3.5" does not mean that is what you got. most tend to sit on the taller side of things but, there are some that are on the shorter side and if you're loaded up with heavy bumpers and the like, that would make a difference too. what you need to do is find out what the collapsed and extended lenght of the shocks you want are and then compare that to what you have now. that will give you a pretty good idea of whether or not you can use them based on the amount of travel you will gain or loose.
Thanks for the reply. My current shocks have the extended length of 56cm, and when the vehicle is parked on the ground, the shocks have the length of 53cm, so that there are only 3cm for the shocks to get flexing. The shocks from Rancho have the extended length of 69cm, is that okay for my current lift height?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rancho

Rancho have 2 sets of shocks for the 4" kit, the first 329,330 are for the short arm kit, and the 2nd, 331,332 (I think) are for the 4" long arm kit. the long arm shocks are approx 2" longer than the short arm shocks in the front, and 1" longer for the rear. I would look more at the length of your coil as to what shock you should use. eg, you could have a stiff short coil that offers 3" of ride height, but your 3" longer shocks will fall out at full droop. The tereflex 2.5" kit uses shocks that are longe than the Rancho 4" short arm kit?

Originally Posted by sanyezhong
Because the shocks I am using were from the 2" lift kit I used to run, so I think a new set of longer shocks are needed for my current 3.5" suspension lift and 1" BL. I think the RS9000XL shocks for the 4" lift from Rancho are nice ones, but they actually said those shocks are for the 4" lift, I don't know if they will work with my lift height or not? Thanks

Quick Reply: Will Rancho 4" RS9000XL shocks work with 3.5" suspension lift + 1" BL?