Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will a ProCal fix my sluggish 3.8 auto?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will a ProCal fix my sluggish 3.8 auto?

I just upgraded to 35s but I have yet to adjust for the different tire size. The auto HATES the tires with a passion. I have to give at at least 75% throttle up a hill to get it to downshift some times and it looses 5-10 miles per hour before it tries on its own if im using cruise control. Will a procal fix the shifting pattern and make it not feel so sluggish or is it just going to adjust my speedo correctly? I dont mind the speedo being off for now, but the sluggish shifting is killing me. Ive got 4.10 gears as far as I know so its a bit on the low side but still shouldnt be THAT bad I would think.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shift points are synced to throttle position, rpm and speed. By changing diameter of tires, the formula is off. Using a ProCal will calibrate the tire diameter, fixing speedometer / odometer / shift points. To eliminate your transmission from constantly changing gears turn off over-drive. The only real way to improve throttle response is to change ring and pinion gears. More drastic is a supercharger to get power at lower rpms.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The procal is a great little device, well worth the price for all of the functionality. But, it is NOT a replacement for having the proper gearing!

It was mentioned above, and I'm sure you have seen it in other threads. Until you get around to regearing --> press the OD Off button every time you get in.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gears are the best thing you can do for a 3.8 with bigger tires. One of the most overlooked mods that make the most difference.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No the ProCal will not fix the sluggishness, only recalibrate the shift points. A Superchips Flashpaq will address other issues inherent with the factory programming like the poor throttle response as well as let you recalibrate for larger tires and later for gear change.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 03-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Will a ProCal fix my sluggish 3.8 auto?