Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will my JK fall apart?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my JK fall apart?

Proud to say I just got an 09 unlimited X automatic, and now i'm starting the mods (great deals to be had on a new JK right now, btw). I had the dealer do a 2.5" Skyjacker lift so I wouldn't risk a warranty issue. I ordered Procomp 17" Procomp 7089s with 35" Procomp Xterrain A/Ts - although I've heard the wheels are backordered until June, the vendor said I'd have them in a week. In preparation - after reading this board - I got the AEV procal to fix the odometer/speedometer issue. Lastly, I took off the doors and rigged a Yamaha V-Star mirror through the drivers side hinge (I'm proudest of this "custom" mod -haha)

So now that I'm waiting to recharge whats left of my bank account before i do much else, I have a gear/transmission question: I realize that my rig will be very underpowered, but do I risk breaking something by running these wheels on my 3.73 set up until I can upgrade to 4.88 or 5.13? I talked to one drivetrain shop that told me that my transmission would be toast if I don't regear soon. And then after I do regear, will I need to upgrade the axels to deal with the 4.88 or the 5.13? I plan to be offroad only 5-10% of the time and won't be pushing it too hard.

Lastly, I should look into selling my original JK wheels - has anyone had any good ideas for where to do this other than "craigslist"?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

nope. I run 35's with 3.73 all day long and she keeps going. You might want to drive it first with the tire setup before you make the decision to regear. I just nailed 315mi on 19 gallons of gas. That was pretty damn impressive for a unlimited X.

Your tranny will be fine. Whatever shop told you that, you should go and kick them in the balls. I wheel my JK every month, I drive over 2500mi each month. Unlimited, Auto, 3.73's and some bad ass mudders on there. She does just fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Gears are not going to prevent you from breaking something.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

you can break something by opening the door.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Gearing is personal opinion, of course, but I think it's underpowered straight from the factory. I'm auto with 3.73's also, and would seriously dislike 35's without a regear.

If all you do is run around town, or very flat freeways with no hills and no headwinds, you may not mind it as much. Add either one, and you just may change your opinion

As far as the tranny goes, you might consider slapping a cooler on. Especially if you do not regear. Cheap and relatively easy install (this is my next mod - several write-ups in the forums)

If you do decide to go for gears, there is a very (very!) inexpensive shop there in Houston you might look into. They post on craigslist all the time...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't stand my 4.10s with 35s... I couldn't imagine 3.73s! Not everyone is the same though. It won't break anything... but I think it puts more wear and tear on the transmission especially. I bet your clutches would burn out faster than if it had 4.88s or 5.13s. No basis to that theory, just my opinion.

I don't see how cyber gets that mileage. He must live in a flat area that is 45mph everywhere and no stops. lol. My 35s got me about the same with 4.10s and 5.13s. Only real difference is that it no longer sucks to drive. I get to drive in the left hand lane, and I don't get flipped off by little old ladies trying to pass me anymore.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I couldn't stand my 4.10s with 35s... I couldn't imagine 3.73s! Not everyone is the same though. It won't break anything... but I think it puts more wear and tear on the transmission especially. I bet your clutches would burn out faster than if it had 4.88s or 5.13s. No basis to that theory, just my opinion.

I don't see how cyber gets that mileage. He must live in a flat area that is 45mph everywhere and no stops. lol. My 35s got me about the same with 4.10s and 5.13s. Only real difference is that it no longer sucks to drive. I get to drive in the left hand lane, and I don't get flipped off by little old ladies trying to pass me anymore.
I agree with this, except I dont have 5.13... yet
and like blue.. I dont know how cyber gets that milage with 35's
Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
nope. I run 35's with 3.73 all day long and she keeps going. You might want to drive it first with the tire setup before you make the decision to regear. I just nailed 315mi on 19 gallons of gas. That was pretty damn impressive for a unlimited X.

Your tranny will be fine. Whatever shop told you that, you should go and kick them in the balls. I wheel my JK every month, I drive over 2500mi each month. Unlimited, Auto, 3.73's and some bad ass mudders on there. She does just fine.
gotta ask do you ever press the gas pedal to half way even? do you run your tank till empty? and last do you have hypertech or aev procal?

Originally Posted by texastvr2
Proud to say I just got an 09 unlimited X automatic, and now i'm starting the mods (great deals to be had on a new JK right now, btw). I had the dealer do a 2.5" Skyjacker lift so I wouldn't risk a warranty issue. I ordered Procomp 17" Procomp 7089s with 35" Procomp Xterrain A/Ts - although I've heard the wheels are backordered until June, the vendor said I'd have them in a week. In preparation - after reading this board - I got the AEV procal to fix the odometer/speedometer issue. Lastly, I took off the doors and rigged a Yamaha V-Star mirror through the drivers side hinge (I'm proudest of this "custom" mod -haha)

So now that I'm waiting to recharge whats left of my bank account before i do much else, I have a gear/transmission question: I realize that my rig will be very underpowered, but do I risk breaking something by running these wheels on my 3.73 set up until I can upgrade to 4.88 or 5.13? I talked to one drivetrain shop that told me that my transmission would be toast if I don't regear soon. And then after I do regear, will I need to upgrade the axels to deal with the 4.88 or the 5.13? I plan to be offroad only 5-10% of the time and won't be pushing it too hard.

Lastly, I should look into selling my original JK wheels - has anyone had any good ideas for where to do this other than "craigslist"?
thats good you had the dealer do that lift, because if you do a search on here the skyjacker lift has problems with the trackbar relocate bracket they use ripping off the stock bracket. If you get adjustable trackbar you can do away with that bracket. Here is one example
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ackbar+bracket

Stay FAR away from that shop, they are liars and are just trying to take more of your money. Dont do business with dishonest shops. You'll be fine running your 3.73's and most people who say they are perfect and things are great with their 35's and 3.73 have NOT driven a jeep with 5.13's. Your axles will be fine if you arent pushing it or climbing rocks. But you may want to get some Evolution offroad c_gussets and control arm skids to beef up that dana 30 a little.

You can sell your tires/wheels here in the forsale section of forum as long as you have 50+posts
Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

I run the engine at 2k rpm which is about 75mph for me. In the city I am running about 14mpg.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I get 19 mi/gal with 35's and 3.73's as well. I'm pushing 315 mi to the tank on my Unlimited.

Honestly, I don't think the 3.73's are too bad but they aren't great. I'll be re-gearing soon.

As for your transmission being toast...they were trying to sell you stuff. Don't worry about it if you plan to re-gear. Don't go back to that shop.

Quick Reply: Will my JK fall apart?