Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will a lift void the warranty?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a lift void the warranty?

I Have a 2011 wrangler jku, I was planning to install a 4" lift this weekend but got to thinking... Will this void my warranty?!? Any one have experience good or bad with this??

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer tried to tell me that it was voided after my lift. I wrote a nicely worded email explaining that I'd sue if not refunded and brought up the magnuson-moss warranty act. About an hour later the service manager called and told me that there was a misunderstanding and that my warranty is not voided on the rest of my stock parts. Be aggressive if they try to bully, you'll win
Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

thats a good question. the short answer is yes and no. The dealer has to prove that the part that failed was a direct result from your after market add ons.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Azirik
My dealer tried to tell me that it was voided after my lift. I wrote a nicely worded email explaining that I'd sue if not refunded and brought up the magnuson-moss warranty act. About an hour later the service manager called and told me that there was a misunderstanding and that my warranty is not voided on the rest of my stock parts. Be aggressive if they try to bully, you'll win

post your email so we know what type of threats to write
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Steve,

So I decided to write to you about this, instead of Tom who said the Warranty was voided due to having the 2" lift. From what I have gathered about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Warranty cannot be voided for using aftermarket parts, unless those parts caused said damage. The lift, which is being installed as we speak, did not damage my Steering Pump, it hasn't even been installed yet and I have the paperwork to show it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...ct#cite_note-1

This fix is a simple, couple hundred dollar fix. You cannot void the warranty over this, and I'm not afraid to contact my family lawyer, because from what I've seen on JK-Forum, they have won plenty of fights against this.

You're a nice guy, and I mean no disrespect by this. But I did not purchase a $2K Warranty and have it voided because I LIFTED a JEEP. I was also NEVER informed that modifying my vehicle in anyway would void the Warranty, and I even mentioned it plenty of times about the Modification I wanted to do while I was browsing/purchasing the Jeep. That is also illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

I'm having the part replaced with a heavy duty PCS pump as we speak. It's utter bullshit that the part would break from a hard turn so soon, it's not even a month old!

I want that Warranty refunded, or I will contact my lawyer Robert Wright. That, or replace the $300 part and keep my warranty intact.

I'm heading up to Oakhurst, won't have reception so please write back instead of calling as my phone won't work. I'll be heading down the the dealership in the coming days. ONCE I get that part fixed so I have Power Steering again....

Ryan

That's the email. Got called an hour later
Old 01-13-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. My plan was to wake up bright and early tomorrow and begin my install. I'm just semi concerned still and I guess my options are to go ahead with it and write a similar email should time come, or contact my dealer and ask his opinion? Any one else have any input?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Second post for me... I had to take my 11' rubi in today because of a leaky front axle seal with only 5000 miles. i have a 2.5in lift with a 1in body lift. They all gathered round when I pulled in and admired, but made me nervous! I asked out right if they would cover it since it really isn't related to the lift. The Tech said he would take it to the back and call the district manager and let me know... 2.5hrs later, he called, and said it was done, no charge! What a relief! With the temps in the teens here, I really didn't want to do this myself.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm, I have a 4" lift. I'm starting to wonder if I should just do 2.5 since so far 2-2 on warranty coverage. Anyone with a 4" lift and warranty?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice. thanks man
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

My lift and 35s came from the dealer with a 3 year warranty just on the lift. They also gave me 100,000 mile warranty for an 08. Awesome!!! Said with the lift all warranty work is approved with my paper work.

Quick Reply: Will a lift void the warranty?