Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

will LCA's increase wear of driveshaft joints?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will LCA's increase wear of driveshaft joints?

I just went to the dealer the other day (to have another warranty claim denied and told him about my idea to replace the lower control arms with adjustable ones to improve caster. He told me not to do this because the angle of the drive shaft joint with the front diff will change and increase wear of the joint among other things.

Is this true to a signifcant extent? Because I "see" a lot of LCA's around here on this forum. I have 2.5/3" OME lift kit.

Thanks!

Nils
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

HI
Well, actually is oposit.
By lifting the jeep u have changed the angel already. If u move u axel back to the factory position u will change the angel of course again, but it will be less stressed angel then without that.
I made the same choice, OME and JKS adjastable lower, upper, front, rear, and trackbars.
Upcomming changes are Terraflex speedbumps.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

X2...thats why people buy them to correct the geometry of the suspension after the lift
Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the set of all 8 control arms to dial everything in correctly. It's been working great for 10K miles or so and a bunch of wheeling trips.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many owners with lifted JKs use adjustable CAs to dial in caster lost from their suspension lift.

The potential problem is, it's entirely possible to dial in more caster than you really need in the pursuit of straight line stability. This leads to more drive line vibration and shortened U-joint life.

Why? Because caster and pinion angle are inversely related.

The truth lay somewhere in the middle. Close to zero degree pinion angle + someplace near factory caster spec (4.5 degrees) if you can achieve such balance.

Quick Reply: will LCA's increase wear of driveshaft joints?