Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I regret getting BFG MT's?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I regret getting BFG MT's?

I have a Unlimited Sahara I picked up two weeks ago. I love it, but really want to put new tires on it. A neighbor of mine is interested in buying the Goodyear SR-A's from me, so my problem now is just deciding what to put on. I had BFG AT's on my 2000 TJ and really liked them. I think that would be my first choice. However, I can get the MT's off Ebay for about $350 cheaper. Most of my driving will be on the road. Will I regret getting the MT's? I like the look of the MT, but am just worried about how they will perform on the road.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the BFG MT's on my TJ. They wore very well for an MT, were absolutely amazing in the mud and rocks, and looked great.

Right up until the point I ended up using my TJ as my daily driver. Then they were loud and would wear you down on a longer drive. Also, they can sometimes be pretty scary on icy/slushy roads if they are not siped. I had a few pucker times on them including a couple of 360's up a highway entrance ramp because of some ice.....

If you drive more highway than play in the rocks/dirt get the A/T. They will last much longer and be easier to handle while still being able to have fun.

If you have a short commute and like to play on the weekends get the M/T. They are excellent offroad.

My .02C....
Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

I have not had good luck with BFG MT's. I could never get mine to balance out. Spend the money on the Toyo's MT's. I have 2 on my jeep now that needed no weights at all. The other 2 needed only a couple ounces each. BFG's work great if you can find some that are round.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

get the BFG AT/TA's. I had them on my CJ and it was the perfect median between on road and off road tire.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

Having owned the MTs and ATs I would consider Goodyear MTRs, These are the best all-arounder if you plan to wheel at all. The sidewall holds up much better than the BFG's. Ran them on my TJ to great effect.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran the old style BFG MT tires on my TJ for almost 60,000 miles in TX and AZ. They don't wear fast, and give a pretty decent amount of traction in mud and rocks. They do have somewhat weak sidewalls. They do hum some on the road. But overall they are a great tire for the DD/Weekend Warrior.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like others here, I have run both the M/T's and A/T's and can tell you that both will last you 60,000+ miles as opposed to something like an MT/R which will only yield you about 35,000. And, so long as you rotate them every 3,000 miles like you should with most mudders, they'll stay surprisingly quiet. Personally, I too would go with the M/T's as they are a really good tire on and off the pavement and especially good in the mud. However, if you play on sharp rocks, I would recommend something more like an TrXus M/T or MT/R.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

You Won't regret it- You'll get a lot further with em on and off road!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

i ran the procomp MT's and they were great...not loud on road and wore ok for MT's i had a 2wheel drive truck and i sware they got me threw things that my friends with 4x4s couldnt... im lifting my jk now... ... and im going with MT's again not sure which brand yet but all the reviews i have read make the bf MT's sound real nice
Old 01-16-2007, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I just changed out my Sahara wheels and Bridgestone Dueller AT tires for a set of Rubicon wheels and BF Goodrich MT's that I bought from another forum member. Here's what I've noticed since making the change:

I can definitely feel the knobbys on the MT's when going very slow (like when I first start out from a dead stop, or when I'm driving through a parking lot). Once on the road and up to highway speed, the tires are quite smooth. I can now hear a small amount of road noise compared to the Bridgestone's, but it's very minor--not distracting at all. The MT's are noticeably stiffer than the Bridgestones, which I expected, but still nice riding. I haven't had the chance to go off road with the MT's yet, but I'm sure they'll be great for the mild off-roading I do.

I ran BF Goodrich AT's on my last two Jeeps and can't say enough about them. They are great tires! They ride a little better than the MT's on the pavement. When the time comes to replace tires, I may stick with the MT's or I may go back to the BF Goodrich AT's. Just depends on how the MT's wear and ride over time.

Quick Reply: Will I regret getting BFG MT's?