Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I need to readjust my caster with 35s?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I need to readjust my caster with 35s?

I recently installed my 2.5" coil lift with adj. front LCAs and rear UCAs. I am currently running the stock Rubi MTs (32"). I am currently running caster of 4.0 front left and 4.3 front right. Do I need to add more caster when I add my 35" MT MTZ (more like 34.5") and why if so? I need to be educated on this.
Additionally, do I need to readjust the rear pinion angle again as well? Thanks guys
Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Each jeep is a bit different but I would say no at that height. Tires have nothing to do with the caster, it would be the amount of lift you have. Mostly personal preference by the driver. If the steering feels fine to you then just leave it be. If it feels light then some longer lower control arms will allow you to rotate the axle a bit to regain some of the caster back.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

In my experience 3" tends to be where you start needing longer LCA's to increase caster angle and fix wandering. Tire height doesn't matter, but inflation pressure and increased weight might make it handle differently. Rear pinion angle doesn't change with bigger tires either. Driveshafts are usually ok at 2.5" at least for a while. You really only need to adjust rear pinion angle if you use an aftermarket double cardan driveshaft since they are more prone to vibrations at greater angles than the stock rzeppa jointed shaft.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Each jeep is a bit different but I would say no at that height. Tires have nothing to do with the caster, it would be the amount of lift you have. Mostly personal preference by the driver. If the steering feels fine to you then just leave it be. If it feels light then some longer lower control arms will allow you to rotate the axle a bit to regain some of the caster back.
Steering feels just fine. I had the TF front lowers and rear uppers installed with the lift. I also have adjustable front and rear track bars. I also replaced the crappy OE ball joinnts with USA Alloys. Sleeve and gusset also. I was trying to do it right the first time.
I just drove my rig 600 miles to OK and she handled well. No vibrations,wandering,etc. Well, other than being tossed all over the road when I was traveling across northern Texas. The winds were stupid. Having a 2 door does not help either.
My lift netted 3" over stock front; 2" rear. If all I need to do is slap the new meats on and adjust accordingly with the Bully Dog programer that I plan to get than thats good to know.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
In my experience 3" tends to be where you start needing longer LCA's to increase caster angle and fix wandering. Tire height doesn't matter, but inflation pressure and increased weight might make it handle differently. Rear pinion angle doesn't change with bigger tires either. Driveshafts are usually ok at 2.5" at least for a while. You really only need to adjust rear pinion angle if you use an aftermarket double cardan driveshaft since they are more prone to vibrations at greater angles than the stock rzeppa jointed shaft.
Thanks. I did adjust my rear pinion with my adjustable rear uppers. Right now I am still running the factory shafts, but I did not think it would hurt to line it up a little more and hopefully prolong its life. If/when I need to replace the shafts; I already have the control arms.

Quick Reply: Will I need to readjust my caster with 35s?