Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I be getting hit with rocks riding no doors and small flares?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I be getting hit with rocks riding no doors and small flares?

When you have minimal flare coverage and no doors do you get hit with the stuff on your tires all the time? Or does it mainly stay off you unless you stick you body out of the Jeep?

Last edited by MountJEEP; 07-28-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MountJEEP
When you have minimal flare coverage and no doors do you get hit with the stuff on your tires all the time? Or does it mainly stay off you unless you stick you body out of the Jeep?

I have a JKU, XRC flat flares, 33x12.5 tires, and MB TKOs 4.5" backspacing so I fling a bit of shit around. I'm worried me and my passenger will be getting hit with rocks from my tires while driving. It already hurts hanging my arm out the window on unpaved roads going 20-30 mph between trails I imagine it could get dangerous going at highway speeds. I also don't want to subject my passenger to this unknowingly.
This is the spray/fling angle with stock fenders:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mud Spray.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	615083

It may and it does get in.
Obviously, with less fender protection, more can get in.
There are quick-detach mud flaps.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran with 35" MTZs and no flares for a while. When doorless, I've never had any rocks get into the cab. A good indication is mud splatter, it mostly hits behind the driver on the B pillar and further back.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

I have the same fenders (and hate them) and have never had a rock come in. I have how ever had mud come in after go thru it but that comes from tires throwing it way up in the air and it falling in
Old 06-17-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

I have never been hit, but I have had them land in the front of the jeep. I actually shattered my drivers side mirror with the doors on while going 45mph on a gravel road.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have those flares and cumulative back spacing of 3.25". You will get hit with mud and water, but I've never been hit with a rock directly. They will find their way into the cab, but probably wont strike your person.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
I have those flares and cumulative back spacing of 3.25". You will get hit with mud and water, but I've never been hit with a rock directly. They will find their way into the cab, but probably wont strike your person.
Same here no rocks but water/mud.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
This, I have 35s and XRC flat fenders, your rear passengers will probably get hit before you. The real problem I have found is how much water is thrown onto the windshield while driving in the wet
Old 06-17-2015, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P

Same here no rocks but water/mud.
Mud is a problem with the current jku but no rocks. Some for one of my old tjs. The 35's stuck about six inches past the fenders (lol) nvr a problem with rocks but horrible with mud lol
Old 06-17-2015, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did some dirt trails a few weeks back and at speed (45-60mph), rocks do come flying past the front door windows every now and then. The mirrors on both sides saw more than a few good hits. My co-pilot's and my elbow also took a few good whacks while cruising at lower speeds with our arms on the window sill. More relevant to the post, my door has a nice ding in it from receiving rock right to the center of the door panel. It probably wouldn't have made it inside the cab but at the angle it came from, I'm sure it would have had a hard direct hit to the B-pillar. Mind you, I am running 8.5 wheels with 4'' BS with 13.5" wide toyo MT's that stick out about 2.5'' past the stock fenders.

Quick Reply: Will I be getting hit with rocks riding no doors and small flares?