Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I end up spending more money than I think?

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_K_DUB
So if I decided to change the gears what should I go to? 5.13's or 5.38's? I have been reading and I guess 5.38's haven't been around long? The RK lift does come with quick disconnects for the front sway bar.

Would adding an exhaust and intake make up for the lost power when I put bigger tires on or will I still noticed a big difference in loss of power until I change the gears?
You have a D30 on your Sahara so 5.13s esp with 35 inch tires. If you had a D44 then 5.38s for 37 inch tires, though you can do 5.13s with 37 inch tires. But in the end it is up to you.

Also gears are the only way you will truly feel the power come back after you put on bigger tires.

For reference here is a picture of my stock 3.73 gears for the D30 versus D44. Imagine if you put 5.38s on that small D30. Also I attached a chart from the FAQ section about performance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110517_202005.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	228397Click image for larger version

Name:	jk_ratio-chart.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	228398
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by remark
You have a D30 on your Sahara so 5.13s esp with 35 inch tires. If you had a D44 then 5.38s for 37 inch tires, though you can do 5.13s with 37 inch tires. But in the end it is up to you.

Also gears are the only way you will truly feel the power come back after you put on bigger tires.

For reference here is a picture of my stock 3.73 gears for the D30 versus D44. Imagine if you put 5.38s on that small D30. Also I attached a chart from the FAQ section about performance.

Attachment 228397Attachment 228398
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Ultimately I might just be better off swapping out the D30 for the D44 and go with the 5.38s because I would love to put 37s on there. I am sure I would have to swap out my fenders to fit 37s on a 3.5" lift.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_K_DUB
After reading many posts and doing "a little" research, I really like the 3.5 mid arm flex lift from Rock Krawler.

Other than new wheels/tires what am I going to end up dropping money on if I go with that lift? Will I need a new drive shaft, etc? I really don't mind spending some money but I am really just curious what I am going to have to get with that lift.

Any information that you can provide would be awesome. Thanks
CDA Idaho? I went to CHS and bought the Jeep from dave smith motors... Small world...

Anyways I have a 4" with ZERO problems in the drivelines, though I expect i will find them eventually. Most kits are pretty complete, just do your research on the level of kit you buy.

My 35" MT has been fine over the past two years on the factory gate.

I've had more steering issues than anything else
Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gearing is essential... This will be one of your more expensive mods but well worth it!!

I'm saving for mine now...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DaK
You are going to want a rear tire carrier as a 35 on that gate is not a good idea.

Gears have been discussed... I have an auto and will most likely go with 5.13's as I don't want 37's which will require 5.38's. 37's come with a hefty price and mods that should be done with them. As one poster stated, sleeves and gussets etc... Guy I was wheeling this weekend said his MPG went from 14 to 17 MPG with the gear swap. He has an auto too.

New front bumper as well. Why? your 35's will now rub and chew up your front bumper. Used that as an excuse to get one, BAM... SWMBO'ed approved.

Can't remember if you stated shocks... Like my bilstein 5100's but like everything else there are personal preferences.

Re-programmer for when you go 35's or more. Need to inform the computer what you are doing.

This lift will give you enough flex to stuff 35's into the stock fender wells to the point they will start chewing off the plastic.

If you can swing D44's, you should do them as well.

I am sporting stock driveshafts with no problems at this time.
I am not made of money and things will get done slowly. I wish I could just win the lotto and drop a butt ton of money into my jeep. Now that I think about it I will probably stay away from 37's and just go with 35's. I have a procomp accu pro tuner that I had for my truck. I have to look and see if that will work for my jeep.

I was looking at the LOD front and rear bumpers. The fronts have the fog like hook ups and the rear adds two more lights. I kind of like that. Also, the LOD rock sliders are pretty sweet. Poison Spyder has an awesome set of sliders but they want close to $1000. Just a little steep if you ask me.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
CDA Idaho? I went to CHS and bought the Jeep from dave smith motors... Small world...

Anyways I have a 4" with ZERO problems in the drivelines, though I expect i will find them eventually. Most kits are pretty complete, just do your research on the level of kit you buy.

My 35" MT has been fine over the past two years on the factory gate.

I've had more steering issues than anything else
haha yeah small world. What made you move out of CDA?

good to know about not having any problems with the drivelines or 35 on your gate. What is causing your steering issues? Are you just out of alignment or is it something else?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

If you trim your fenders you'll be able to run 37's on that lift, there may be some slight rubbing in which case you just need to extend your bumpstops. Regearing is a definite, 5.13's and 37's are fine, rear tire carrier and bumper can be had for around 800 bucks the two brands that are the best bang for the buck are the Smittybilt XRC and the new Besttop one ( I don't have a lot of info on that one) As for a front bumper you can just stubby your stocker for now and run it that way till you have some more loot on hand. The main concern would be to sleeve and gusset that front axle before you throw those bigger tires on. Also you will need a new front driveshaft, the rear is fine for now. If your having that stuff welded up you may as well get the Lower Control Arm skids welded on too. All in all I think with labor your in the ballpark of around 3 grand or so for everything buttoned up then add on the price of the tires.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

My rule of thumb when building a vehicle is add up the cost of everything you want, then double it and thats about how much it will cost. Your always going to spend more then you think you will
Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I am not made of money and things will get done slowly.
Start putting a build plan together. And keep researching, of course.

Would a big, heavy front bumper be more of a priority than a rear bumper/carrier?
Pressing the OD Off button when you start your jeep will get you by until you get around to gears. (divide the rpm number from the chart by .69)
Chopping the stock fenders is a whole lot cheaper than buying flats.
Chopping the front bumper to a stubby, same thing.
Taller tires = incorrect Speedo/Odo/Mileage. You might put this toward the top of the list. (a tuner will give a better boost than a programmer).
Just because a few people have not had driveshaft issues, has no bearing on whether or not you will. Keep an eye on them and plan accordingly.
Research gusstes/sleeves/lockers/gears so you can decide where, or if, they fit into your build plan.
Get a handle on what all of the steering/lift components do so you have an idea of what to expect. (ex. - 4" lift with stock control arms = flighty handling. You can live with it, but will you want to?)
With your current usage, how high on the list should extra armor be placed?
etc
etc
etc
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get extended brake lines for the rear. Rk midarm only comes with fronts.

Quick Reply: Will I end up spending more money than I think?