Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will I end up spending more money than I think?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I end up spending more money than I think?

After reading many posts and doing "a little" research, I really like the 3.5 mid arm flex lift from Rock Krawler.

Other than new wheels/tires what am I going to end up dropping money on if I go with that lift? Will I need a new drive shaft, etc? I really don't mind spending some money but I am really just curious what I am going to have to get with that lift.

Any information that you can provide would be awesome. Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

i dont know about that lift, or four door jks, but i lifted my 2 door 3.5 inches and i have ended up spending more than i thought i would. Bigger tires means probably a new tire carrier. You will probably end up buying a chip to gain back some power......
And so the addiction begins. But its just a jeep thing i guess
Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You should expect to replace the front driveshaft, but the rear should be ok.

Crawl underneath and check them both as part of your regular maintenance, and after any trail runs. You are looking for a torn front boot from contact with the auto tranny pan, and grease spitting out of the joints from being 'pinched' due to increased angles. Wouldn't be a bad idea to flex it after the install to check clearances before you wander out to the trails.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the other posters noted you will likely need a front driveshaft. If you go to a 35 inch tire you will probably need/want a tire carrier, sleeve and gusset your front axle housing, maybe gears if you don't like the power level, then a programer, etc, etc.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Possibly new gears, axles sleeves and gussets, and much more depending on what you want.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like others have said, you are probably going to want gears. When you do gears, they will tell you that you should put in a locker then since they already have it apart, so you will want that.

Then you need either a programer or a procal to reset the speedometer.

Once you start wheeling, the notion of sleeving the axel and gussets and don't forget about the evap cannister. It needs so protection or relocation.

Some mentioned a tire carrier.

If you start wheeling, a CB, winch, new front bumper. Does the RK come with quick disconnects for the sway bar? You might want tire deflators as well.

There is so much more.... How deep are your pockets?

Josh
Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Freak

All these things are stuff you might want or need... A few are essential but mainly stuff you would want. Pretty much once you own a jeep and decide to do anything to it there will be stuff you will want to do. There is a difference between that want, and need, and lastly HAVE TO HAVE
Old 10-25-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adicus8
i dont know about that lift, or four door jks, but i lifted my 2 door 3.5 inches and i have ended up spending more than i thought i would. Bigger tires means probably a new tire carrier. You will probably end up buying a chip to gain back some power......
And so the addiction begins. But its just a jeep thing i guess
hahahah addiction for sure. I have already found myself spending most of my time on this forum "searching" for things that I want to do to my jeep.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ummmm....YES!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Infinity
Like others have said, you are probably going to want gears. When you do gears, they will tell you that you should put in a locker then since they already have it apart, so you will want that.

Then you need either a programer or a procal to reset the speedometer.

Once you start wheeling, the notion of sleeving the axel and gussets and don't forget about the evap cannister. It needs so protection or relocation.

Some mentioned a tire carrier.

If you start wheeling, a CB, winch, new front bumper. Does the RK come with quick disconnects for the sway bar? You might want tire deflators as well.

There is so much more.... How deep are your pockets?

Josh
So if I decided to change the gears what should I go to? 5.13's or 5.38's? I have been reading and I guess 5.38's haven't been around long? The RK lift does come with quick disconnects for the front sway bar.

Would adding an exhaust and intake make up for the lost power when I put bigger tires on or will I still noticed a big difference in loss of power until I change the gears?

Quick Reply: Will I end up spending more money than I think?