Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

will fixed control arms fit my 4" lift?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control arms

thanks jkred. i guess your last post answered my question. i feel really stupid posting on here, but it is the only way for me to learn. then i do definately need adjustable control arms for my lift? i had someone put the lift on for me and i know it didnt come with control arms, so i thought they were for lifted jeeps only. thanks for the reply
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

You can see in this pic where the upper and lower control arms are... They allow you to fine tune you caster angle and axle position in the front, and your pinion angle and axle position in the rear. That's why people suggested adjustables. Also, a trackbar front and rear that is adjustable might not be a bad idea either, since it will allow you to center your axle under the jeep, that is presuming you don't have some already.

Hope that helps?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2967778305.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	226233  
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rebelchris
thanks jkred. i guess your last post answered my question. i feel really stupid posting on here, but it is the only way for me to learn. then i do definately need adjustable control arms for my lift? i had someone put the lift on for me and i know it didnt come with control arms, so i thought they were for lifted jeeps only. thanks for the reply
No need to feel stupid, I look back at some of my first posts and laugh. they were pretty bad....

Out of curiosity, what brand lift, and if there are no adjustable arms or trackbars, did they put trackbar brackets and cam bolts?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Which lift do you have? And how does it handle now? Fairly stable? Or kinda flighty? If it handles ok, are you sure that you do not have some form of caster correction already?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default control arms

i have the pro comp stage I lift which does not include the control arms. as far as handling: the ride is actually good-shocks and springs seem to be pretty good quality, but the handling is not too good. it seems to sway back and forth fairly easily like an old chrysler cordoba or something. from what i have read, it seems as though control arms and sway bar will help with this problem.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default control arms

i did upgrade the shocks to the adjustable dial shocks (which cost a bit more) and they do seem to ride close to stock, in terms of the "smoothness" of the ride. like i said, the problem is keeping it in my lane. i say that half joking, but it does sway left and right which when it was stock, it drove rather impressively to me.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default control arms

4" Stage I Lift Kit with MX-6 Shocks by Pro Comp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pro comp lift.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	226328  
Old 10-21-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Well it appears you received decent stuff, you have sway bar extensions which you were saying you needed, so no need there. Appears you also have a trackbar relocation bracket. Can't tell if it's for front or rear.

Here's my suggestion. Grab yourself some front adjustable lower control arms, and some rear upper adjustable control arms. This will help you dial your caster in the front, which is the most likely cause of your flighty steering, and will help tune your pinion angle in the rear, which will help lengthen the life of your rear drive shaft. Any reputable company will do. I suggest Rock Krawler, Full Traction, or Teraflex.

Also, are your axles centered under your jeep? Meaning if you look at it from front or rear do the tires stick out equally on each side? If not, you might wanna also grab adjustable trackbars for the front or rear.

PM me if you need more info.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jkred's got it all covered here, but just for a reference point, my RK 3.5 kit came with adjustable arms. I netted around 4.25" acutal lift. The lower arms are adjusted to barely over stock length...by barely I mean mabe 1/4 inch. Swapping out the arms with the used ones you got like other people have said is indeed pointless, but buying some good adjustable arms is a great idea.

Bear in mind a/m adjustables not only have adjustability, but most have flex joints and your overall handling, not to mention acutal flex off road will be greatly improved.

If your budget minded (which most of us are) start with a set of front lowers. Your jeep should drive 100% better once you get them dialed in.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default control arms

i cant thank yall enough. very helpful replies.

Quick Reply: will fixed control arms fit my 4" lift?