Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

will this fix my steering problems?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will this fix my steering problems?

Hi All
i have a 4 door rubicon with stock wheels and a Old man emu HD lift kit installed. My jeep pulls to the left(right hand drive) Its been suggested to do the following: fit front adjustable track bar and rear relocation bracket for track bar.

Will this fix the problem and make the jeep more stable on the road?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

I believe so, never done it but heard if your tires are off side to side because of the missing fix on the tracbars, which sounds like your front and rear are shorter than needed so your front tires will be to the left of your rear and stopping it will pull under braking.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does this sound ok? Its a response i got regarding more caster. I want to add this to the above mentioned

"You get two different types of cam adjusters. The one uses a concentric circle to adjust caster which could slip. The ones I use are caster plates which are square and fit into factory supplied grooves on the control arm brackets. These will not budge at all"
Old 11-29-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by explorer
Does this sound ok?

"You get two different types of cam adjusters. The one uses a concentric circle to adjust caster which could slip. The ones I use are caster plates which are square and fit into factory supplied grooves on the control arm brackets. These will not budge at all"
I haven't heard anything about those Caster Plates, but a quick search will show you quite a lot of negative feedback on the Cam Bolts.

Here is the section on Caster from the FAQ's:

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.
With your HD coils, you are over 3" of lift. You would be better off going with a set of front adjustable control arms to correct your caster. Cams are very limited in the amount of adjustability, and even if they don't slip, may not get your caster back where you want it. (cam bolts will get you back to 'stock' caster, but you'll want to be somewhere closer to +5°~6° to return you to stock 'handling'.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-29-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Regarding your steering problem, it's important to center your axles with adjustable track bars.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by river2c
Regarding your steering problem, it's important to center your axles with adjustable track bars.
Ok i am going to start with a front adjustable track bar and a rear relocation bracket for the rear track bar. I hope this will change the handeling
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
has it been aligned?

if your toe is correct your front axle being slightly uncentered usually won't make it pull. too much toe out sometimes makes it wander or turn in funny though.

let us know if the track bar and bracket fix the problem.

I am hoping it will fix it. i did do alignment. When i turn it feels like the jeep "jumps" (not the right word)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

do you mean at:

low speed at full lock the wheel jerks?

or at high speed?
At high and low speed. Its feels like the rear jerks to the side when i turn and then back and then jerks... Hope this makes sence?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

do you have a front trac bar relocation bracket?

when i did my 2" FT BB i added their relocation bracket and it made my steering scary as hell. ditched it and everything was fine. It made on ramps feel really wierd. almost like you're describing.
I dont have the bracket. I only did the lift. I will fit the front adjustable track bar and rear relocation bracket.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok.... had the front adjustable track bar fitted today and rear relocation bracket. Still pulls to the left and i almost want to say that its worse
Not sure what to do now????

Quick Reply: will this fix my steering problems?