Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will a Cat-Back improve miles per gallon?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nota4re
At Cool Tech LLC, we offer a cat-back exhaust kit. I'd love to tell you that there were strong HP and MPG improvements, but it is not really the case with any of the systems out there. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, it is in the best interest of the car manufacturer to optimize power and mpg and generally, they do a pretty good job of it. This wasn't always the case - even a few short years ago. The OEM's have more constraints, however, in that they try to have the best balance between sound, power, function, etc. in order to appeal to the maximum number of buyers.

We believe that the best reason to modify the exhaust is to improve the vehicle's performance envelope (better ground clearance, e.g.), improve vehicle aesthetics (no visible ugly rear muffler), improved sound, and a very modest performance improvement.
That's what I like to hear from a manufacturer, an honest statement about their product and what it does. No unsubstanciated claims of vastly increased power or economy.

They made good points about the ground clearence and improved sound. I ran into another JK owner that had a Cool Tech cat back. The Jeep sounded good.
It can be tough to get a good deep sound from a V6. Too many go down the road sounding like motorboats

A good cat back system is to the ears what a set of nice rims are to the eyes
Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
I had 1.3MPG before my cat-back Now I get 1.5MPG

how do you get anywhere on 1.5 MPG?

i was getting 16/19 on stock sahara with 32" duelers .... installed my custom SS magnaflow ... it went up to 17/20 ..... swapped out to 32" BFG muds .... back down to 16/19 .....

definitely sounds better ....
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mt3
how do you get anywhere on 1.5 MPG?

I'm guessing that picture was taken immediatly following a fill up and a "jack rabbit start"
Old 06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

You should see better performance AND better economy by installing a freeflow exchaust...

KSK

Quick Reply: Will a Cat-Back improve miles per gallon?