Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will a 285/75/16 tire fit on a stock 16x7 tire?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a 285/75/16 tire fit on a stock 16x7 tire?

As of now my x is stock but come october I will be getting a 2.5bb lift and I have been trying to find what tires will fit on my stock rim. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

It'll fit, but it will rub without wheel spacers. I would suggest saving up for aftermarket wheels with smaller backspacing to push them out a little.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks I think I will do that.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, it'll fit but, you will want to run 1.5" wheel spacers.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 2011 JKer
I'm running 295/75/16 on my stock 16x7 rims with NO spacers. Only a slight rub at full turn on the sway bar. I don't think you lose enough turning capability to justify the cost of spacers... Save the money and put it towards a new set of wheels when you're ready for something new.
well, i'm going to have to disagree especially if you wheel your jeep. when you're flexed out and disconnected, your sidewalls will dig into your swaybar and can cause a blowout - i have seen this happen way too many times. also, with a 2.5" lift, your driver side rear tire sidewall will sit dangerously close to the sway bar link end and unless you get your axle recentered perfectly, you risk damaging it as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Went wheeling last weekend at Badlands actually. I have no lift, also have no sway bar disconnects, 0 issues. Perhaps if you have disconnects I can see that as a valid point. Without them, no problems except for not always having 4 wheels touching the ground.
there is no perhaps about it. if you install a 2.5" BB as the OP said he was going to, you will have clearance issues in the rear with your sidewalls and sway bar links. if you disconnect up front, you will have a significant risk of sidewall damage when flexed out on the trail. being that the OP is planning to install a 2.5" BB, i gonna have to stick with my recommendation to install 1.5" wheel spacers.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife

there is no perhaps about it. if you install a 2.5" BB as the OP said he was going to, you will have clearance issues in the rear with your sidewalls and sway bar links. if you disconnect up front, you will have a significant risk of sidewall damage when flexed out on the trail. being that the OP is planning to install a 2.5" BB, i gonna have to stick with my recommendation to install 1.5" wheel spacers.
Agreed! I'm running this size now. I started off on the stock wheels, but didn't like being under manufacturer's recommended wheel width for the tire. (at least that's what I told my wife...Lol). Now at stock ride height and 4" BS on ProComp wheels I only rub the fenders (lovely sound) from time to time which will be corrected soon with either flat fenders or a fender chop!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Answer : Yes they will fit.
yes, and i had said as much - i just recommended that wheel spacers be used to help prevent clearance issues.

Leave it stock without disconnects, still no issues.
in spite of what you seem to think, disconnecting is a good thing and enough so that Jeep designed a system to make it easier to do.

I dont know aboutthat's a liftnew issue??? I dont haveknow one.
in case you missed it, the OP specifically stated that he would be installing a 2.5" BB and my answers have been in regards to what HE plans on doing.

If you don't plan on doing any aggressive offroading it will be fine.
in my experience, not with a 2.5" lift.

I still say spend the money on wheels with correct backspacing instead of spacers and just limit your offroading until then.
i have used wheel spacers for years on all my jeeps and, so long as they are high quality ones like the kind spidertrax makes and you install them correctly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. they are an affordable solution, one that works well and, keeping your narrow stock wheels will help keep your bead from rolling when aired down (assuming you air down like you should).
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was dealing with this issue recently....

I wanted to put on some 285s on my stock steelies. I was told that the tire shop, Discount Tire, wouldn't mount that size on that rim. Ended up with some 265/75/16 Duratacs and couldn't be happier

Side benefit is that I don't need wheel spacers or anything. When these get close to wearing out, I plan to get some aftermarket wheels and go up to 305/75/16s
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Answer : Yes they will fit. Leave it stock without disconnects, still no issues. I agree with wayoflife on the disconnect problem. I dont know aboutthat's a liftnew issue??? I dont haveknow one. If you don't plan on doing any aggressive offroading it will be fine. I still say spend the money on wheels with correct backspacing instead of spacers and just limit your offroading until then.
What backspacing should I have for new wheels?

Quick Reply: Will a 285/75/16 tire fit on a stock 16x7 tire?