Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will 2011 JK's ever get a tuner?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is that it's not one code... It's like an encrypted radio system that changes every few seconds so nobody can get a lock on one code. Probably have to change to a '10 or earlier ECU if you need a programmer which would be expensive.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
The problem is that it's not one code... It's like an encrypted radio system that changes every few seconds so nobody can get a lock on one code. Probably have to change to a '10 or earlier ECU if you need a programmer which would be expensive.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I found a guy that is already doing that. Selling a brand new Mopar ECU for $499...will work with a 2011 JK, not sure about a 2012. Then you still have to buy a programer.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
I mentioned in an earlier post that I found a guy that is already doing that. Selling a brand new Mopar ECU for $499...will work with a 2011 JK, not sure about a 2012. Then you still have to buy a programer.
That is too rich for my blood, $499 plus $329 for the SC.... I don't think I will feel $800+ of improvement. Some better headers and exhaust would be a better investment for a 2011....
Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

The 2011 and 2012 Dodge diesels have tuners available (H&S).

Either they use the older ECU or the diesel market is just bigger () and worth investing money and time in as a tuning company?!?

I have/use HP Tuner from when I ran AT FAB in TX and we have been waiting over 3 years for the Mopar tuning, and looks like we will never see them release it at all. These companies just don't think there is a market I guess???

I think the first complete tuning company to support all years of Mopar will take over a huge gap in the market. Wish I had some funding to start one!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I feel Ya!!

I am wondering the same thing i need a tune bad.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

ya just found the same thing ....
ECU for 2011 that will allow it to be programmed......

hmmmm

http://w w w.rpmextreme.com/2011%20jeep%20ecu.htm
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep paid them off not to develop anything for the 11s, boost sales for the 12s. The American business creed.
I've been waiting since 10/10 for something, sadly I purchased one for my 08 and traded for an 11. Now the SC is a poor paperweight.

Last edited by Camojeep; 01-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tk 421
The 2011 and 2012 Dodge diesels have tuners available (H&S).

Either they use the older ECU or the diesel market is just bigger () and worth investing money and time in as a tuning company?!?

I have/use HP Tuner from when I ran AT FAB in TX and we have been waiting over 3 years for the Mopar tuning, and looks like we will never see them release it at all. These companies just don't think there is a market I guess???

I think the first complete tuning company to support all years of Mopar will take over a huge gap in the market. Wish I had some funding to start one!
The Diesels have a seperate ECU and PCU - (engine control and powertrain control iirc and if it hasn't changed in the last few years) so the tuner is placed in-between and can modifiy the signal. That's why the diesel tuners have usually been quick to market even in new model years. I think with the gas engines it's just the one Mopar ECU so there's no convenient place to intercept and adjust the signal. Hence the need to fully crack the encryption.

Additionally with the diesels the Mopar ECU has to talk to the engine makers PCU (Cummins, International, etc) so they likely can't encrypt as heavily on a diesel engine and maintain compatability with the engine's computer. So even ECU reflashes are sometimes available on Diesels.

Last edited by BigMAK1; 01-09-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

subscribed ..........
Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked the Superchips forum, and it looks like we're in for a long wait, if ever.

I think there should be a class action lawsuit against Chrysler. I thought that when I buy a product, it's mine. I should be able to do what I want with it. I didn't know that what I bought was really just a license to use "their" product. The computers and other interfaces should be an open standard across the industry. I guess they don't want anyone to hack the "big brother" stuff they've added into these computers in recent years.

Last edited by CBrNoMore; 02-17-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Will 2011 JK's ever get a tuner?