Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wild Steering...Twin Stabilizers?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you are suffering from bumpsteer...check your caster angles. This can be corrected either with AEV drop brackets or adjustable control arms. I had a similar situation and went the AEV route and now no more bumpsteer. Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same here

I have the same symptoms - bumpsteer. Retorqued everything with wheels on ground which helped a bit. Caster is off even though my RE 3.5" kit came with cam bolts but no arms. Also, bar angle is too steep so a flip bar is next.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitro5238
Sounds to me like you are suffering from bumpsteer...check your caster angles. This can be corrected either with AEV drop brackets or adjustable control arms. I had a similar situation and went the AEV route and now no more bumpsteer. Hope this helps you out.

I don't think adjusting caster helps much with bumpsteer. The issue is with the steering components being at more extreme angles. That's why doing a Dl flip helps with BS as it moves the DL back to a more parallel position.

My loose steering came originally from a wollowed out hole on my knucklle where the DL bolts to. I could somewhat tighten it down a bit but eventually it would just loosen again. When i could get it tight, it helped a little. Adding the flip (as well as swapping out knuckles to Reid) has made my steering night and day better from an overall standpoint.

Everyone gets different results with lift kits. Someone mentioned they have no issues with the 3.5" lift but "most" do need to do some kind of steering correction.

And as its been stated in earlier posts, other things can contribute to wacky steering but usually a loose wheel feel is related to steering components. If it was "wandering", I'd say its your caster. But if you can move your wheel a bit and get no response, it's not caster. It's something loose.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Click the link to Diagnosing DW below in my signature.

Watch the 2 Diagnosis YouTube videos first.

Read the balance of the first post.

Diagnose the source(s) of the problem.

Fix the source(s) of the problem.

You shouldn't need steering correction with an RK 3.5" lift.

You don't have bumpsteer. Bumpsteer is when the steering wheel moves because the arc of the trackbar does not match the arc of the drag link. It has nothing to do with hitting a pothole or road imperfection. Bumpsteer happens when you hit a dip in the road.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lots of good info guys. I will check the draglink dimensions when I get home from work today. I had a thought that this might be an issue, and I have not changed anything in the steering department other than correcting my steering wheel position after the lift.

I did replace the draglink bolt with 9/16" grade 8's given the DW issues dealt with in the past.

I tightened up my control arms last night just in case...but I don't think this was an issue.

Quick Reply: Wild Steering...Twin Stabilizers?