Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wild Steering...Twin Stabilizers?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Steering...Twin Stabilizers?

I am running 37s on a '13 sport, with a 3.5" RK lift.

I feel like I am getting some wild steering...when I hit small bumps or potholes on the highway, the steering wheel literally gets jerked out of my hand from left to right....yada yada yada....I have an aftermarket pro-comp steering stabilizer...but, would (2) make any difference. I see big trucks utilizing two stabilizers, and wondered if it would help me out any?

Thoughts/expertise?

DW
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

A dual stabilizer will just mask what is actually wrong. Something is not set up right, or loose. If the wheel gets that much shake something is major wrong. Start by checking track bar bolts, tie rod and drag link ends. Tire balancing may also be an issue. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Are you running a draglink flip with your lift? at that height you should be. Also, check the draglink for any play. If still running stock location you could have wollowed out the bolt holes on your draglink ends. There are other things that can cause your issues but my guess is that it's your steering geometry is messed up from the lift. Once I installed a flip in mine with the same lift, my steering tightened up a ton. I also have a worn out mount on knuckle end for the draglink.

Running a dual stabilizer will only mask the real issue that you have. Other issues could be ball joints being shot, loose steering components, tires out of balance....the list goes on....
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need four steering stabilizers.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
No. Are you running a draglink flip with your lift? at that height you should be. Also, check the draglink for any play. If still running stock location you could have wollowed out the bolt holes on your draglink ends. There are other things that can cause your issues but my guess is that it's your steering geometry is messed up from the lift. Once I installed a flip in mine with the same lift, my steering tightened up a ton. I also have a worn out mount on knuckle end for the draglink.

Running a dual stabilizer will only mask the real issue that you have. Other issues could be ball joints being shot, loose steering components, tires out of balance....the list goes on....
X2. Do you gave adjustable control arms? Also make sure you aren't running too much air pressure in the tires.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
You need four steering stabilizers.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
No. Are you running a draglink flip with your lift? at that height you should be.
I run the same lift without a flip and do not have any play in my steering. I am running without a stabilizer right now and steering is great, no DW, only a touch of steering response when hitting manhole covers.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi

I have the rk 3.5 coils but not sure what a steering stabalizer is?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130904_130139.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	494907  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Alignment, Air pressure, ball joints, could all contribute to it. Did you torque/re-torque the suspension components while the weight of the vehicle was on them?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Are you running a front trackbar bracket? How parallel are the trackbar and drag link? (measured mounting hole to mounting hole. Might be easier to judge by taking a pic of the front end.) Post the alignment specs.

Quick Reply: Wild Steering...Twin Stabilizers?