Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wife just got death wobble.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very common problem with that type of track bar adjustment. Every time I wheel and get a shimmy, I stop and the nut is always loose. If the red locktight won't hold it then next time..I will weld the damn thing!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Ok. So went and grabbed a bite after leaving the garage. On my way home while going up hill in 4 hi at 55kmhr I started to get a rythmic wobble feeling in the seat of my pants. My wife said hey do you feel that wobble feel? She said, that's what it started to do just before the steering wheel went crazy. So I backed off the gas. Stopped at a red light then continued up another long hill on the highway. I went back up to 55kmhr and the rythmic wobble started to come back. I slowed and by this time I was home. I havnt tried to see if it happens in 2 wheel drive yet.
I'd say it felt like an out of balance tire but the wobble was in the seat of my pants and not in the wheel. I didn't go any faster because I didnt want the full blown dw to kick in as I was traveling on the hwy with transport trucks.
I looked underneath at the drive shafts and took some pics. I don't have much lift so I dont think there should be any issues with them. I also grabbed the stock front lower control arms and gave them a firm shake. They moved slightly in the bushing about less than a mm but I think it wasn't so much the control arm moving as the rubber bushing flexing.
So I don't know what's going on.
Here's the pics I took of the front shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3934951892.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	119816   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3460676976.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	119817   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1101383413.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	119818   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2234053906.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	119819   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-377557517.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	119820  

Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

And the rear shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4157598471.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	119821   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4226673893.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	119822   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3871074497.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	119823   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1373010980.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	119824  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I looked underneath at the drive shafts and took some pics. I don't have much lift so I dont think there should be any issues with them.
Look at those pics again. The joint at the tcase end is spitting grease. That shaft needs to be replaced soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Yeah after looking at the pics I see that. Why is the front shaft at such an angle? I just have a tf 2.5" lift that has sagged some since I got it on a year ago? If the front shaft was going and I had it in 4 hi would I feel it while driving?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For whatever reason, the tcase output is angled up a bit. Very common for that joint to fail. My guess is that as long as there is still grease in there, you won't feel it. When it starts drying out and gets noisy is when you would feel (and hear) something. Just a guess though.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Ok. So this may or may not be part of the problem. I wonder what the wobble I felt was. This is not good.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Is your Steering Stabilizer ok?

I ask because I started to get the death wobble when on rough pavement/bumps/etc, and I finally diagnosed it to the stabilizer. It was/is leaking. I have another one on the way, but I'm sure it is just a mask of the real problem...

I know the Stabilizer shouldn't be need to prevent a death wobble, but I'm not sure my toe-in is correct. Trying to measure it with 35 MTR Kev's is tough with the big lugs on the outside.

I'm going to try and tackle the toe-in again and see if I can get accurate measurements. I think this is the cause of my Death wobble.

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foo
Is your Steering Stabilizer ok?

I ask because I started to get the death wobble when on rough pavement/bumps/etc, and I finally diagnosed it to the stabilizer. It was/is leaking. I have another one on the way, but I'm sure it is just a mask of the real problem...

I know the Stabilizer shouldn't be need to prevent a death wobble, but I'm not sure my toe-in is correct. Trying to measure it with 35 MTR Kev's is tough with the big lugs on the outside.

I'm going to try and tackle the toe-in again and see if I can get accurate measurements. I think this is the cause of my Death wobble.

Good Luck!
Ran into same measure issues with my Z71 when I lifted. It was $55 a trip to no avail at the alignment joint. A wise old man told me stop giving them money and go to the junk yard, get 2 wheels and do it from the wheels. I did and well I can say I am wiser now. I actually went as far as welding angle iron to them to assist me. Cost me a whole $15 for the two wheels and they allowed me to do toe and camber from my angle iron and a digital level. He may have saved me some cash, but I can still kick his ass fishing on any day of the week.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Yeah the steering stabilizer is still good. I had a look at it on the rack last night. I've done a bunch more reading which leads me to believe that the front drive shaft might be the cause of the wobble I'm feeling in the seat of my pants.

It could be that the wobble and the DW were 2 separate symptoms caused by the wash board roads that I've been driving on in 4hi for the last 2 weeks. My wife said the wobble feeling in the seat started just before the DW kicked in at 60kmhr. After tightening the jam nut I test drove it and got it up to 70kmhr and no DW.

I didn't notice the wobble in the seat at that time because I was accelerating quickly. On the way home I noticed the wobble in the seat at about 55kmhr but I was accelerating slowly while going up a long hill.

Quick Reply: Wife just got death wobble.