Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wife just got death wobble.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife just got death wobble.

My wife just phoned me. While she was on her way to pick me up from work she got an uncontrollable shake in the front end. She said the steering wheel started goin crazy. She had to pull over before it would stop. She said it kicked in at just under 60kmhr.
I told her to take it to a local shop where I get my work done and I'm on my way to meet her now. I told her to drive slow. I'll post updates. My rigs details can be seen in my profile if your curious. Funny I just had 35's on for a week and went back to 33's a few days ago. FYI she said there is no snow in the wheels.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that sucks, I thought I would be invincible running all JKS stuff but looks like we have similar setups.

Keep us posted
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Just arrived at shop. Wife says the jeep "feels loose underneath". She said she got out and inspected the tires to see if one of the tires was comming off as we just had the 33's put back on but said the wheels looked fine. We've had a ton of snow lately and the roads are like washboards. I'm thinking the trac bar loosened or the Ball joints are toast. But what do I know. I'll update soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Ok. The ball joints are tight. The trac bar is torqued to 125 ftlbs on both ends but the jam nut was backed off? There was a bit of play at the point where the jam nut should be tight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3624264764.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	119757  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I am looking at the after picture but that Jam nut does not appear to be tightend at all.

David
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks to be loosened all the way. We just fixed our DW problem, ours was the the Track bar bolt hole in the frame was wallowed out and had to weld washers over it to make the hole round again.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Sorry. I took the pic just as my tech loosened it a couple more threads. But he loosened it with his fingers so yeah it was not tight. So he put some blue lock tite on it and tightened it up.
All I can figure is it worked itself loose on our horrible roads here. This town does snow removal a few days after a snow storm in the middle of the night using big cats and other heavy machinery. So while the snow sits on the ground it packs down and gets bumpy like a gravel road.
After he did this I test drove it but because of the roads I was only able to get up to 70kmhr but no dw.
So hopefully problem solved and I'll keep and eye on the jam nut.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

glad you got things figured out quickly and hopefully it doesn't happen again! I would have figured Prince George to have a significant budget devoted to snow removal on the roads... I guess not, eh.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Im afraid of this. My friend had it on his TJ.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Put some auto "amazing goop" on the area where the nut and threats meet, it will never back off again

Quick Reply: Wife just got death wobble.