Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wierd Noise = New Driveshaft?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Noise = New Driveshaft?

Got this wierd Noise coming from rear end. Sounds like a clicking/grinding noise through 1-2-3 gears......

I have a 4" lift with moderate off road and 35"s- MANUAL...........

COULD THIS BE MY REAR DRIVESHAFT???
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did someone attach a zip tie to your rear driveshaft?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

HAHAHAH no I did look under there and didnt see anything crazy like this.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you are still running a stock drive shaft, yeah, it's most likely your CV joint going out.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you are still running a stock drive shaft, yeah, it's most likely your CV joint going out.
Oops, yeah, for some reason I thought you had changed out your drive shaft.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Hahaha ya forgot to put that i still have the stock ones in.....i cant complain they last 14K Miles!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well got a new JE REEL HD 1310 coming this week. I love putting new things on the jeep. Lets just hope the noise goes away....
Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Warlock13
Hahaha ya forgot to put that i still have the stock ones in.....i cant complain they last 14K Miles!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well got a new JE REEL HD 1310 coming this week. I love putting new things on the jeep. Lets just hope the noise goes away....
I have the same issue. I had mine looked at by a local 4x4 shop and they confirmed that the CV joint was bad. I'm nursing mine down the road everyday until I can afford a new shaft. My front shaft is fine (so I'm told). I have basically the same set up as you. 4.5" lift, 35's, manual.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Just a Heads Up

My stock rear driveshaft went out last week at 70 mph and it heated up to the point that it caught what was left of the rubber boot on fire and then caught the grease around it on fire, some of which was stuck to the gas tank. I put the fire out with the Dr Pepper I happened to be drinking. Close call. I got 7K out of the stock DS. Just keep an eye on it.

PS. A big thanks to Tom Woods. I was out of state 700 miles from home when this happened and they built and overnighted my new shaft in one day!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

wow man your lucky. I hope mine gets here soon LIKE TOMMORROW cause im freaking out about this thing going out.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CJtoJK
My stock rear driveshaft went out last week at 70 mph and it heated up to the point that it caught what was left of the rubber boot on fire and then caught the grease around it on fire, some of which was stuck to the gas tank. I put the fire out with the Dr Pepper I happened to be drinking. Close call. I got 7K out of the stock DS. Just keep an eye on it.

PS. A big thanks to Tom Woods. I was out of state 700 miles from home when this happened and they built and overnighted my new shaft in one day!
Guess the wife won't question that upgrade.!!! Now I am glad I have my fire extinquisher on board... Glad your ok, that could have been a bigger problem.

Quick Reply: Wierd Noise = New Driveshaft?