Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wider wheel + stock tire. Will it work?

Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wider wheel + stock tire. Will it work?

I just decided to buy some new wheels and keep the stock 255/70R18 BFG's that came with the Sahara.

It wasnt till after I paid for the wheels that the salesman told me that the wheels are too wide for this size tire (XD Monster 18X9).

He said that they would work but would bulge at the wheel and may wear oddly. I am hoping to run these stocker tires untill I can make up my mind on new tires, but just wanted to pick the collective brains and see what I am up against.

Anyone have experience running a set up like this?

and on a side note, I shouldnt need spacers if the backspacing is less than stock right? (4.5" vs. 6.25")
Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say keep the OEM wheels and tires for now and wait until you have enought to buy tires.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will work but the salesman was right it will look weird, i wouldn't worry about wear issues you're buying new. or like suffold said keep the stockers for now.

Quick Reply: Wider wheel + stock tire. Will it work?