Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wider than 12.5" tires on your jk???

Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wait....were you talking about the red rock jk?? i just realized you said 15s and that white jeep looks like it has about 18s......
Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh 15 wide....dont mind the brain fart
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alonzo98
did they rub at full lock only? or did they rub when you went off road only? if im correct there was a thread i read once that claimed wider tires rubbed on older 07 models because of design differences from newer models.......
They rubbed at full lock regardless. A little worse when it was twisted up offroad
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well after further review (thanks to comments and posts from this thread) i am going to go with some 16x10 procomp wheels, 3 inch lift (probably Black Diamond), and the 33.5x 14.5 SSR Super Swampers without wheels spacers. I'll post pictures for everyone once I get it installed. Thanks for the posts and comments. Again, very nice 12.5+ jeeps!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Cant go wrong with the black diamond 3.
Ive got it, and am running 36x13.50s.
Love it, love it, love it.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
Cant go wrong with the black diamond 3.
Ive got it, and am running 36x13.50s.
Love it, love it, love it.

Have you experienced any sagging with the Black Diamond lift?? that and the ride quality are my biggest concerns with the lift. Would you say the ride quality is the same or better than stock. Hopefully its not worse.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Alonzo98
Have you experienced any sagging with the Black Diamond lift?? that and the ride quality are my biggest concerns with the lift. Would you say the ride quality is the same or better than stock. Hopefully its not worse.
I'd say def better than stock. I was expecting a lot of sway and some pulling at high speeds. But nope.
That's why I love the BD. It comes with all of the extra stuff to correct handling. All I added to it was a steering stabilizer. (also black diamond)
And no sagging. More heighth than other 3" I've seen (around 4.125, I think it was), and it's hasn't dropped any farther than when I got it.

Last edited by AlmightyCrash; 03-18-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Im looking to get the Nitto Mud Grapplers 38's or 37's here pretty soon and idk if i want to go 13.50 or 15.50

If i do the 13.50 what would be a good size rim to run??? So i can start looking.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJosh
Its funny you ask. In DE, certain # plates you can get black made up, as a historic thing. You can either get black plate with white numbers, or black with stainless numbers. They also are worth $. The one on my jeep is worth approx $2500. One on my beater is worth prob $750, and wifes car $500. I think DE is the only state(that I know of) with something like this, and it is politician driven, so it will prob never change.

This is what black with white #'s looks like(beater truck tag)-

Low numbered tag numbers are prestigious in Delaware for some residents. The lower the number the better according to those who find this to be the case. The state of Delaware began issuing license plates to vehicles in 1905. Initially owners were required to make their own plates, and not until 1909 did the state issue its own first official license plates. Car owners up until that time generally assigned between one and three numbers to their license plate. However in 1909, the state began assigning numbers starting with 1,000 because of the sporadic issuing of numbers under 1,000 and of poor record keeping of them.2

In 1935, tag numbers 1, 2, and 3 were reserved for the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and the Secretary of State respectively by the Delaware General Assembly. Delaware license plate #4 and up remained in the general circulation.2 Nowadays car owners and family members alike cover lower number tags in the state of Delaware. Tags are transferrable from vehicle to vehicle and can also be sold from Delawarean to Delawarean. The Division of Motor Vehicles only levies a $20 fee for the transfer of a tag number from one owner to another. This allows for a family to keep a license plate number in their family from generation to generation. Ones that are not maintained run the risk of ceding back to the State and put back in general circulation.

The rage of low license plate numbers fetches some outrageous tag number sales in the state of Delaware. In 1994 the sale of Delaware tag #9 garnered $182,500 and in 2005 Delaware tag #170 sold for $115,000.2 Some four-digit plates can bring over $10,000 to the prospective seller. Other states where low numbered tags draw such attention include Washington, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Illinois, and the District of Columbia.

To add to the fever behind low numbered tags in the state of Delaware, owners of low number plates may opt to purchase a replica of 1942-era license plates to display on their vehicle in place of the standard gold on blue tag. Through the Delaware Historical Society, a similar tag (remake) can be displayed on passenger vehicles that have tag numbers lower than 87,000, and trucks that have tag numbers lower then C9999. The yearly fee for these tags is $60.

If your interested in a low number tag for your vehicle and do not wish to shell out thousands of dollars, your only other option is to contact the Delaware DMV occassionally about the availability of numbers ceded back to the state by owners who either left the state, sold their car to an out of stater, or otherwise let their plates expire.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Thread jack, anyone?

Quick Reply: wider than 12.5" tires on your jk???