Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wider 35? Tires? Only Pitbull bias or Interco Irok available? Be help!

Old 03-13-2016, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wider 35? Tires? Only Pitbull bias or Interco Irok available? Be help!

I have been looking around for a while now trying to find some nice wide tires. This will be for my 4 door jeep that is mainly my toy for sand. Originally I was just going to go with the typical 35/12.5-17 D or C rated but then I got to thinking about trying to find a slightly wider tire; something around a 35/14.5-17 D would be awesome for my application. However, the only find two company that make wider 35s. One is Pitbull with the LT Bias tires…. I wouldn't want be getting bias tires. The ones from them I am looking at are the Growler AT Bias in 35/14.5/17D. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they still get flat spots and other not fun bias things.

A better option I think is Interco makes some 35/14.5-17 tiers (IROK)…. To me, the tread pattern seems like it would dig way too much for being a primarily sand and sandy-mud-marsh trail jeep. The side walls would be perfect though but the main treads seem a bit too aggressive. Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with these on sand and marsh trails?

This is the last piece of the puzzle before I execute by build.

Also, other than getting the correct rims. Do I need rims with more backspace to fit them without spacers?

Thanks!

Edti: Currently I am probably just going to run 35/12.5-17 Geolander MT or KM2) This was more of a why the hell not sort of thread since this jeep will spend very little time on an actual road.

Last edited by Things_Fade; 03-13-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but tires like that need 3" or less of bs to be clearing effectively.

Those are pretty sweet tires, I was looking at bias ply options also but wasn't sure of the semantics involved.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the geolander stock wheels and 1.5" spacers you should be good.

Those are c or d rated?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Getting new wheels isn't a problem, I am going to post soon my full build idea, but I am think of getting the MT SideBiterII 17X9 wheels which have a 4.5 bs. I wasn't sure if I needed to go with more like a 4 or a 3.5 to make something that wide work. Any thoughts on the IROK being too agressive for sand?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Iroks are a little much for soft sand. I ran Mickey claws in the sand and they were phenomenal. You may check to see if they still make the MTZ in a 15.5" wide flavor. When you go with a 14"+ tire, you 'should' also be looking at a wider wheel. I ran 10" wheels and 10.5" claws, couldn't ask for much more.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, you need to be looking at 10" wheels at least so the tires tread face will stay flat easier .. Putting a 14 wide on a 9" wheel can be done but really not conducive to what you are trying to achieve.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I received many negative comments on the setup and stance but it would glide over the sand even when it was soft.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

^^^ Thanks! That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. The idea for this rig is it will be down at my coastal house and I would like everyone in my family to be comfortable using the rig. My sister used the jeep last summer (265/75/16 terra grabbers and buried it somehow). What I was thinking is if I went wide, there would be no reason to air down the tires so it would be really strait forward for people who aren't down there all the time. The other issue is that there are some nasty marsh 2 track roads that you need to use to launch the kayaks in some of the better fishing spots so it still needed to preform okay-ish in the mud. I will look into those tires.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I received many negative comments on the setup and stance but it would glide over the sand even when it was soft.

What are you running to get that stance? That is sort of what I had in mind.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

I believe 325/65/18s are about 35 x 13.7 wide. There are a fair number of tires available in that size. Duratracs, bfg ko2, cooper stt pro etc

Quick Reply: Wider 35? Tires? Only Pitbull bias or Interco Irok available? Be help!