Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wide tires on JK unlimited

Old 06-03-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
That blows me away that vette doesn't have rubbing with that little of back spacing and that wide of a tire. Did you run the steering stops way out?

You gotta be running 5" of bumpstops to keep them tires of your fenders
I'm ashamed to say I don't understand the Bumpstop/Steering stops (My lazy ass should probably learn). Its just the standard cheap AEV 4.5 bracket lift, so whatever they do with the Steering/Bump Stops would be the normal install. I've run this wheel tire set up on all three of my JKS and have never had any rubbing. I haven't taken this one off road yet since I am waiting for a front driveshaft and Poison Spyder fenders for flex, but just driving on the street and Mall Crawling flex there is zero rubbing. Taking my previous rigs out there was never any rubbing at all (But I did have the pinch seam trimmed and flat fenders). I need to do a search on Bumpstop/Steering stop to find out what that is!

Last edited by VETTETHRET; 06-03-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im more amazed he knows his backspace converted to inch and not the others lol. Id think he may have wheel spacers?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Im more amazed he knows his backspace converted to inch and not the others lol. Id think he may have wheel spacers?
Had to plug it in on CCW backspace converter! Boats and Ho's!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Emptied Each Pocket
I'm curious if there is a marginal difference in strain on the steering components with a 14.5 vs the more common 12.5?
More than marginal in most cases. A 14.5" wide tire will weigh more than a 12.5". More weight = more stress.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt2105
More than marginal in most cases. A 14.5" wide tire will weigh more than a 12.5". More weight = more stress.
I meant due to contact patch being larger.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That blows me away that vette doesn't have rubbing with that little of back spacing and that wide of a tire. Did you run the steering stops way out?

You gotta be running 5" of bumpstops to keep them tires of your fenders
Because it's most likely what's commonly known as a mall crawler. I'm on 37's with 4'' BS on a 6'' lift and my front bumper is chewed up on both sides just from mashing at the dunes through some good whoops and landing off some little pansy ledges.

As for as more strain on the steering, I'd say yes. Slap your stock wheels on and turn the steering wheel w the engine off then try the same with 13.5" wide tires......quite a difference in force required to turn the wheel.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, if you're going to run a 14.5" wide tire, I would make sure you're you take into account your scrub radius. With that wide of a contact patch, it's certainly going to put a lot stress on your steering and you don't want to have your tires trying to move forward and back instead of just pivoting in place. In my head, I feel like you either need to run a taller tire (like 38’s or 40’s) or a wider axle with like 5" back spacing to maintain a reasonable scrub radius with a 14.50 tire.

Also - you'll likely need to look into hydro assist sooner rather than later.

Last edited by sea bass; 06-03-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
I'm ashamed to say I don't understand the Bumpstop/Steering stops (My lazy ass should probably learn). Its just the standard cheap AEV 4.5 bracket lift, so whatever they do with the Steering/Bump Stops would be the normal install. I've run this wheel tire set up on all three of my JKS and have never had any rubbing. I haven't taken this one off road yet since I am waiting for a front driveshaft and Poison Spyder fenders for flex, but just driving on the street and Mall Crawling flex there is zero rubbing. Taking my previous rigs out there was never any rubbing at all (But I did have the pinch seam trimmed and flat fenders). I need to do a search on Bumpstop/Steering stop to find out what that is!
You'll want to learn about bumpstop so you can adjust yours after you put your PS fenders on. You should be able to increase your up travel a few inches assuming your bumpstops are correctly set now.

Bumpstops are what limit your up travel (some use rubber pucks, or extensions for the stock ones). Keeps your tires out of your fenders or body, and protects your shocks from bottoming out depending on the collapsed length.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Because it's most likely what's commonly known as a mall crawler. I'm on 37's with 4'' BS on a 6'' lift and my front bumper is chewed up on both sides just from mashing at the dunes through some good whoops and landing off some little pansy ledges.

As for as more strain on the steering, I'd say yes. Slap your stock wheels on and turn the steering wheel w the engine off then try the same with 13.5" wide tires......quite a difference in force required to turn the wheel.
This ones a Mall Crawler until I can get my Front Driveshaft and PS Flares. I've taken past rigs out and have had no problems with Rub with the same wheel/tire set up (And that's with plenty of articulation). Now I've never done huge rocks or been jumping my rigs off sand dunes, so it depends if he's going to do "Hard Core" wheeling, I have no interest in trails that cause body damage!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

You'll want to learn about bumpstop so you can adjust yours after you put your PS fenders on. You should be able to increase your up travel a few inches assuming your bumpstops are correctly set now.

Bumpstops are what limit your up travel (some use rubber pucks, or extensions for the stock ones). Keeps your tires out of your fenders or body, and protects your shocks from bottoming out depending on the collapsed length.
I kind of inherited this lift by default and will definitely be upgrading it with ARMS etc. Hopefully the info benefits the OP as well. The bottom bumpstop measures 3" and the top is stock. How much travel is the Bumpstop that came with the AEV limiting travel (I assume 3").
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Bumpstop.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	613553

Quick Reply: Wide tires on JK unlimited