Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wich mount on stock bumper without plate

Old 01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wich mount on stock bumper without plate

Just wanted to see if anyone has mounted a winch to the stock bumper without the $280 plate that people sell?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out this thread, there's apparently a winch plate for $65! It will just require a bit of cutting on the plastic bumper. As far as mounting a winch with no winch plate at all? I don't think it's possible.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=stock+bumper
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Capndik
Check out this thread, there's apparently a winch plate for $65! It will just require a bit of cutting on the plastic bumper. As far as mounting a winch with no winch plate at all? I don't think it's possible.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=stock+bumper
I see you are ordering one..please let me know how it looks when you get it on....and take detailed pics!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the universal mounting plate from Harbor Freight for $29.00 and just had to do a little trimming to make it fit perfectly. Of course I mounted mine upside down, but it worked either way.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is most definately NOT possible to mount a winch on the stock bumper without some kind of plate...and it should be a sturdy one at that...if you search the forum you will find many threads where it has been done with various plates...cheapest one being a Harbour Freight winch mount. Have a peak at some pics and you will see that with the stock bumper off you need to create some kind of platform with which to mount the winch between the end frame horns. There is another 'cheaper' mount that I used...the Olympic Winch mount (about 130.00)...it can be used to mount a winch while utilizing the stock bumper...however there is some pretty extreme cutting of both the plastic bumper shell and it's metal inner, plus with this mount you can no longer utilize the stock fog lights should you have them.
If your looking for the cheapest method, probably a custom fab'd plate, or the Harbour Freight one are your best bets to be utilizes with the stock bumper...just try to mount it as high as possible so you can minimize bumper cutting and fitment issues.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkbite
I bought the universal mounting plate from Harbor Freight for $29.00 and just had to do a little trimming to make it fit perfectly. Of course I mounted mine upside down, but it worked either way.
I love the loom of that, but isn't it weird not being able to see the cable spooling? How do you know if it's going on evenly?

Also, is it a pain to switch it to free-spool? Seems like you would be feeling around under there...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

I will be selling my winch plate and modified front bumper very soon.
Read here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=bumper

A winch SHOULD be mounted to a 1/4 plate that is securely mounted to the frame. A stock bumper will NOT withstand any forces applied to it with regard to winching.

capndik... Nice job on that bumper.

Last edited by tambil68; 01-28-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

the switch to free spool is easy to reach, after you've done it once, you don't have to fumble around much to find it. The winch is actually as easy to use as the top mount on my old rig.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tambil68
capndik... Nice job on that bumper.
I wish I could take credit for that job. I was just quoting Sharkbite. I think he's the one that deserves the credit.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkbite
the switch to free spool is easy to reach, after you've done it once, you don't have to fumble around much to find it. The winch is actually as easy to use as the top mount on my old rig.
But you can't see the cable spooling. How do you know if it's pulling in correctly, and not overlapping all funny?

Quick Reply: wich mount on stock bumper without plate