Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why you do the work yourself

Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do all my own wrench turning because I was a mechanic for years and love having the satisfaction knowing the work was done right. Most technicians do a great job but I have seen enough that don't. Loose wheel bolts, no transmission oil in a gearbox, all the right bolts in all the wrong places. 99% are great, I just don't want the wrong one. Maybe a bit paranoid but it works for me. It's also a great feeling of pride when people complement your Jeep or ask who performed an installation of a part and you know you did it yourself.

Jeff V.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Because the shop that installed my lift didn't realize or listen to me when I said the front links look like they are on backwards!!

Also, because they didn't realize that the steering stablizer is supposed to be mounted on top and not 1 side on top and 1 side on the bottom causing it to tweak out....

New front shaft coming in soon and I'll be wrenching it myself even if it takes 48hours to do a 30minute job, lol.....

FYI - look out for post in about a week from me stuck in garage with shaft on backwards offering
for help... lol...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Because when it breaks on the trail I cant immediately hire a mechanic to fix it!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Why do I do my own work?

Because....
When I got my JK back from a warranty gas tank change, it didn't run well because they put water-contaminated gasoline in the new tank.
When I got it back after the new tank was removed, washed out, reinstalled, and filled with clean gasoline, I discovered, after hearing a clunking sound from the back, they had not tightened the forward bolt on the right rear lower control arm.
Once I got the JK home and started an oil change, I noticed the safety clip on the fuel line at the fuel rail was off and hanging by its tether.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

I am very OCD with most things in my life and I take a lot of pride in everything I do.

I like to do all of my own work because I like knowing the work was done the way I wanted it and also the sense of pride it gives me when I am finished.

I won't take any of our vehicles to the shop unless I absolutely have to as people have no respect for other peoples things anymore and could care less about how much of how hard you worked to get them.
I work hard everyday to have the things I do and don't need someone screwing them up for me. I would rather screw it up myself and even go to the point of having to re purchase or completely go back to the first step and start over if I screw up rather than take the chance of letting someone else screw it up for me.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

1. I'm 16 and can't afford to pay someone else to do it
2. I really enjoy working on my jeeps
3. I like to be able to point at a jeep and say, "I did that"
4. It better helps me understand my vehicles
5. I don't want somebody else even touching my jeep let alone driving it and working on it.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978cj7jk2012
1. I'm 16 and can't afford to pay someone else to do it
2. I really enjoy working on my jeeps
3. I like to be able to point at a jeep and say, "I did that"
4. It better helps me understand my vehicles
5. I don't want somebody else even touching my jeep let alone driving it and working on it.
X2. Same here i dont let anyone touch or even drive my jeep
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

I grew up in a transmission shop and started working on rebuilds when I was 6. By the time I was 8 I had already rebuilt my first turbo 350 minus the parts I couldn't reach.

Now I work on my own stuff just because I can.

Most jobs only take basic hand tools.

Most parts come with instructions.

Repair manuals are cheap.

Every $20 I spend at AutoZone gives me one point, get a few points get $20 off the next thing I need.

I can get back on the road sooner than if I paid someone to do it.
Perfect example. My wife got hit on the freeway driving to work. The body shop had it for a month and the itemized repair report showed about 22 hours of work. Now the airbags don't work and the glove box fell apart.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

cause it's fun and I love buying tools
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

Because you should never pay another man to put his hands up you girls undercarriage. Some things are sacred. If you need another man to give you a lift so you can feel manlyer in your mallcrawler, go talk to a pharmicist about a blue pill. The relationship between a man and his Jeep is sacred........ well unless you have two then it's just a party......

Quick Reply: Why you do the work yourself