Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why you do the work yourself

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why I do the work myself...because the last time I had major work done at the dealer I was driving around a curve and got to listen to parts clanking against my exhaust and driveshaft as they fell off the jeep and bounced into to street.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

I learned a long time ago....just because the mechanics work at a dealership doesn't make them good mechanics.

I try to do all the work on my Jeep myself. If I can't I make sure there is some sort of warranty in case there are any problems.

I've done all the mods on my JKU myself.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by texwillys
I learned a long time ago....just because the mechanics work at a dealership doesn't make them good mechanics.

I try to do all the work on my Jeep myself. If I can't I make sure there is some sort of warranty in case there are any problems.

I've done all the mods on my JKU myself.

Thanks to this Forum!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap like that just gets to me so bad. My Jeep is in the shop right now having the interior Line-x and all I could think about is what they're going to screw up or if I'll even be happy with the job they do. Past experience proves me right in that the majority of shops/workers don't give a rats a@% about the customers and almost never do the job right the first time. Here's to hoping that I'm completely wrong on this one.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me it has been the cost savings, I have the skills for most work. I also have taught both my sons and they do most of their own work and both own Jeeps.
My pain is the addition of all the newer elctro-gizmos that the manufacturers want us to buy.
Not all mechanics are bad, just hard to find the good ones.
Mandor6863
Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

1. Price: I'm pretty frugal

2. Time: I hate waiting on a shop to do something in 3-5 days that I can do in one.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

its a nice change from my day job.

And when I am in the middle of no where the guy that did the work on my jeep wont be around to fix it when it breaks.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I grew up with very little money and keeping our vehicles running was a shear necessity. We couldn't afford to pay a garage to fix our clunkers. Now that I'm a little older, I can afford to pay someone to work on my vehicle, but I won't. I'm very meticulous about my vehicles and I want the job done right. I cringe at the thought of taking my vehicle in for anything. I've seen so many scary things come out of the shops around here it's not funny.

The only time my vehicle goes into the shop is for an inspection or if a special piece of machinery is needed that I don't have access to. That's rare though.

My girlfriend thinks it's funny that I'm so protective over my Jeep. She told me to settle down when it was in for inspection last. I told her I don't want some dickhead getting paid $12/hour fucking my Jeep up. She just laughed. lol
Old 06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do my own work cause I enjoy it and I know I'll do it right. If I had the bucks and was going to do a build with lots of mods that were totally out of my league like the Vengeance build or Eddie's JKs then yes I would trust a shop like Off Road Evolution to do it right. But for every day bolt-on mods, take it off & put it on repairs it's all me. Like Ronjenx I had a bad experience at the dealer with a warranty repair. Took it in for inner fender rubbing brake line recall. Took them only 45 minutes to repair. They trimmed inner fender but failed to replace brake line that was clearly rubbed into. Now I need the clockspring and gas tank replaced. Wish they would give me the parts and let me do it.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Few different reasons:
1. I come from a long line of tinkerers. I have memories of my dad or grandpa cussing in the garage working on something. Every project Jeep or non Jeep related brings back those memories. I don't have kids yet but I figure I'll be doing the same thing.
2. The people I work with always make comments that I spend so much money on my Jeep. "How much did that cost to do" is something I hear a lot and it's nice to say that I did it myself.
3. New projects means new tools!

Quick Reply: Why you do the work yourself