Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why or when do I need to get a tuner?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why or when do I need to get a tuner?

Been thinking about purchasing a tuner, but when should one get one? What mods or aftermarket parts ? I have an 07 JKU with the 3.8. Ordered a RR snorkel. Dynomax Evo Comp exhaust on and running 265x70x17. I do not pull a boat but haul a small trailer with my camping gear.

Sent from my free Obama iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Junkie

Tuner is typically used for different gear ratio, tire size, higher RPM's for winching, speedometer calibration, etc. Plus, all the other fancy features such as clearing dashboard lights, etc.

So, if you don't have different tires other than stock, still stock height, and stock gearing, a tuner in my opinion isn't needed.

You can go with a programmer to fix all the minor things, which is different than a tuner. Most people do not know the difference.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have a slightly more aggressive tire and nothing else really, you can get by with a programmer. Then again, it's just my opinion and there are many who will say their own!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

So maybe I need a programmer? I will be getting bigger tires but not any time soon. New shoes in March of 13, still have plenty of wear! Winch and bumpers in the new year of 14. I do have a 3" lift.

Sent from my free Obama iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The 'tuner' part of a tuner will give a little more pep, which you may or may not feel in the seat of the pants. Every other feature of a tuner can be found in a cheaper programmer. Whether or not you want/need a tuner depends on you. I think most of the mfg's list the gains at around 15-20 HP waaayyyyy up in the rpm band where most of us rarely go, so figure an additional 8-10 usable HP? Certainly not the nice gains from tuners on diesel engines. You probably won't consider it be wasted money, but you certainly won't feel like you dropped in a supercharger or v-8 or anything.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Any little bit of power helps on these motors, especially the automatics. I noticed a slight improvement with my Superchips tuner.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get the flashpaq before anything else.. and most likely won't get anything else.

I've had mine for only a week, but it seems like it's given me a bit of extra power.. I was able to change when my stock fans turn on, from 222 to 215. Will see if it helps on the trail.. I also like that on the Rubis, you can program your lockers in 4HI, use the crawl tune, turn off the TPMs.. I paid $220 brand new.. I've seen them sell here for $150-200 used.

I am running 33s (actual 32s).. re-calibrated my speedo.. Took a 130 mile wheeling trip last Sun, and according to my Jeep, got 18.9 MPG. If that is true, that is freaking amazing.

Quick Reply: Why or when do I need to get a tuner?