Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why some fairleads are not centered on some bumpers and some are centered?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by likes2jeep

Did you notice on your second picture there is more space on the passenger side of the winch? I think it has to be something to do with sway bar motor or they want to be able to accommodate bigger winches with bigger motor...
Indeed. It's probably the second. The winch plate does not have any cuts or shape to accommodate the sway bar motor so the winch could be more to the passenger's side. So, your guess about making space available for bigger winches makes sense.

Is there any standard that winch manufacturers follow? That might explain different brands fitting the same holes in the bumpers. I did not have to drill or adjust anything.

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
My Expedition One has two winch plate options and two fairlead options. One centered and one offset. My Superwinch Talon is huge like the powerplant and I didn't like the offset look so I drilled my own holes and centered the fairlead
Did you also have to change the fairlead holes or the spool aligned fine?

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 12-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

It has a wide hole and you choose between 2 cover plates that bolt on
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
My Expedition One has two winch plate options and two fairlead options. One centered and one offset. My Superwinch Talon is huge like the powerplant and I didn't like the offset look so I drilled my own holes and centered the fairlead
Sounds like Expedition One was thinking of the symmetry freaks like myself
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like Expedition One was thinking of the symmetry freaks like myself
That's one reason I got it
Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Funny. Now that I saw this thread I went check some of my Jeep's photos.
Attachment 252498
Attachment 252499

The LoD's hole is not centered either, but the Engo's spool matches it perfectly.

When I look at the winch it's not symmetrical so I wonder the bumper manufacturers make it that way to account for that.

I really like the LoD full width bumper. I've been looking on line and can't find the weight listed anywhere. Do you how much it weighs?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have a superwinch lp10000. So if i have drill new holes and move the winch towrds passenger side, and center the fairlead, it should be OK. It has nothing to do with sway bar disconnect motor, I guess.
I have the same winch in an LOD mid width front bumper, and discovered I have to do the same thing. The bumper manufacture says that's what they do (drill new holes) if they know there will be a Superwinch in there. The drum on the winch is wider then the hole in the bumper for the fairlead. Maybe the drums/spools are wide on the Superwinch?

On a side note is your LP10,000 noisy? This is my first winch ever, and it sounds sort of crunchy?

Let us know how drilling the holes to move the winch turns out.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Rugged Ridge XHD bumper had two sets of holes, one for a standard winch and one for the Warns that need offset. I can't remember if the roller fairlead is off-centered.

Is the roller fairlead susposed to be a little narrower than the spool? Mine is a bit narrower and I am using a Rugged Ridge bumper and Rugged Ridge winch.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy

I really like the LoD full width bumper. I've been looking on line and can't find the weight listed anywhere. Do you how much it weighs?

Sorry, nope. It is heavy but not so much. I could install it by myself without any problems. Also, the LoD plus the Engo's weights did not bulge the stock suspension. That is, no leveling kit required. Have you called the manufacturer?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I finally finished the install. I will wait before I move the winch towards passenger side. May be I will get used to it

Attachment 252731
Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy

I believe the weight if a full width with the guard is right at 90 lbs.

Quick Reply: Why some fairleads are not centered on some bumpers and some are centered?