Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why some fairleads are not centered on some bumpers and some are centered?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why some fairleads are not centered on some bumpers and some are centered?

Why some fairleads are not centered on some bumpers and some are centered? I bought a Rough Country Stubby bumper yesterday. I installed it today. Roller fairlead sits towards drivers side. I checked how the winch sits and noticed there is still some space on the passenger side. I checked the pictures of other manufacturers and fairlead is centered in some of them. I was wondering why some bumper manufacturers pushes the winch towards right. Any ideas?

Last edited by likes2jeep; 12-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Some are offset because of the design of the Warn Powerplant.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that the fair leader is not as wide as some of the winch spools creating problems getting the cable spooled correctly. I need a wider fair leader.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loadbreak
Some are offset because of the design of the Warn Powerplant.
I have a superwinch lp10000. So if i have drill new holes and move the winch towrds passenger side, and center the fairlead, it should be OK. It has nothing to do with sway bar disconnect motor, I guess.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pushrod
I found that the fair leader is not as wide as some of the winch spools creating problems getting the cable spooled correctly. I need a wider fair leader.
That totally makes sense. Thanks for the tip. If I find a longer fairlead, I dont have to move the winch. All I have to do is to keep driver side hole for the fairlead where it is and drill a new hole on the passenger side. And extend the fairlead towards passenger side. Do they make longer fairleads?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Even the 9500ti and 9500cti require offset sometimes. I've had both; and on my other rig, I was wanting to sink the winch down between the framerails and couldn't because it was going to be too far off to one side for my taste. (Narrower framerail spacing than a JK)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Funny. Now that I saw this thread I went check some of my Jeep's photos.
Attachment 252498
Attachment 252499

The LoD's hole is not centered either, but the Engo's spool matches it perfectly.

When I look at the winch it's not symmetrical so I wonder the bumper manufacturers make it that way to account for that.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 12-20-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Funny. Now that I saw this thread I went check some of my Jeep's photos.
Attachment 252498
Attachment 252499

The LoD's hole is not centered either, but the Engo's spool matches it perfectly.

When I look at the winch it's not symmetrical so I wonder the bumper manufacturers make it that way to account for that.
Did you notice on your second picture there is more space on the passenger side of the winch? I think it has to be something to do with sway bar motor or they want to be able to accommodate bigger winches with bigger motor...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

It is to accommodate the Warn Powerplant. Plain and simple.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

My Expedition One has two winch plate options and two fairlead options. One centered and one offset. My Superwinch Talon is huge like the powerplant and I didn't like the offset look so I drilled my own holes and centered the fairlead

Quick Reply: Why some fairleads are not centered on some bumpers and some are centered?