Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why only change upper control arms, or vice versa??

Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resurrecting a great post!

I 'resurrect' this old topic because it is really spot-on with very good information. Don't mean to hijack, but it concentrates a lot of good stuff and maybe my questions are not so silly like not to add to it

I am buying a 'medium' OME kit, checking additional components that may be needed, and have a few questions regarding CAs, many of them addressed here, some others I list below:

a) if i lift the rear it is possible that the pinion angle might not be ideal. Yet I see written that replacement of the upper rears is inevitable if changing driveshaft. I thought by adding an aftermarket shaft with a double joint this could be avoided. Am I correct, or replacement of both driveshaft and upper rear links are inevitable, either by damage over time or else?

b) is it so noticeable a change in the ride with a 2-3" lift like to need to get lower rears to "reaccomodate" the wheelbase, or is it mostly due to looks? I plan to mount 33x12.50 on the stock 17" wheels.

c) does the same thing happen in the front. The guy form which I will get the kit has a pair of FT front upper links available. In case they were not sufficient to restore caster angles and lower fronts were needed, is it still better to have both adjustable arms (uppers and lowers) especially in the front, or not?

I am building this on a budget, but I rather not compromise road control, at any change (I have separately bought a JKS adjustable trackbar, etc).

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

good thread.

are there any "fixed" lower front control arms you can purchase separately, just a couple degrees longer than stock?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 AM
RND
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepindreams
good thread.

are there any "fixed" lower front control arms you can purchase separately, just a couple degrees longer than stock?
JSPEC- 3/8 inch longer than stock gave me 2.2 degrees more caster

Quick Reply: Why only change upper control arms, or vice versa??