Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why only change upper control arms, or vice versa??

Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why only change upper control arms, or vice versa??

I never fully understood this...

Whenever I read someone's post or sig when they have a 2.5" to 3" coil lift (not BB), like the Tereflex or OME or Full Traction, they don't have both their upper and lower control arms replaced. Sometimes I'll read that they only changed their uppers front and rear; sometimes they only changed their lowers front and rear.

Question:

- What should you change? Just the lower? Just the upper? Or, both?

- How come many JKer's it seems are only swapping out the lower instead of the upper, or only the upper instead of the lower?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice write up. I understand it all now too, for the most part. Hopefully in the future someone will stumble upon this when they go to search. Again, great job with the answer. I'm truly impressed.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
Thanks. Glad to help.
Can you add front lowers to a 2dr to improve caster, with a stock drive shaft?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes.

You can do it with either Currie adjustable front uppers or any manufacturer adjustable front lowers with your stock driveshaft.

However, if you have an automatic and you are at about 3" or more lift, and you wheel it, you will eventually need an aftermarket front driveshaft because you will tear off the front stock driveshaft boot on your transmission pan.
So my set up is 3 inch susp lift with one inch spacer in front. I have an unlimited. Should I just be concerned with front uppers? My next upgrade was gonna be lower arms, but after your write up, I now think I will need uppers. I dont not wheel my JK, just drive on beach.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

One thing to keep in mind in respect to the control arms and the choice to use the stock ones or replace them with aftermarket.

I did find that, even though I've got a fairly mild lift, OME HD kit + spacers (3/4" front, 10mm rear) on a heavy 2 door, the addition of the rear upper & lower arms (Full Traction) significantly tightened up the rear end of the Jeep, losing most of that "rear steer" feeling. I would attribute this solely to the control arms, although a JE Reel 1350 rear driveshaft was installed at the same time.

The addition of the front lowers added to the already installed front uppers, despite the additional caster increase of a couple of degrees, wasn't near as dramatic.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Former Member

Real nice write up! Explains stuff better than even I can sometimes.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

so in a 4 door with a full traction 3'' premium lift wich ones do i have from full raction????
im buying tom woods drive shafts, so should i change more things???
Old 07-22-2009, 06:06 PM
***erator

Great explanation.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a 3" Zone in the front with a 1" spacer, I'd suggest front lowers.
Thanks man. Any manufacturer in particular, or all the big names pretty much the same?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

are the full traction ones in the ultimate 3' kit are adjustables????
if they are adjustables , how exactly do you adjust them, like just so theyill fit or a special measurre???

[QUOTE=planman;1250055]Looks like the "premium" comes with fixed lower control arms.

So, you will want adjustable uppers if you add driveshafts for pinion angle adjustment.

Quick Reply: Why only change upper control arms, or vice versa??