Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why not install your new gears yourself?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things are better left to the professionals, this is one of them.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

I think you're attempt was admirable and I wouldn't let it stop me from trying it again. Everything thing doesn't always go right the first time thats how we learn.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

It can be done. I did it in my garage for the first time but it took alot more time than I thought. 2 full days, morning to late. Broke one locker sensor. Bought alot of tools.

It's been 20k miles since and all is good.

Before I started, I read, read, and reread the procedure dozens of times, from multiple sources till I felt like I could do it by memory.

I spent nearly $300 in tools. Rented a slide hammer and made a pinion flange holder.

I did it for the satisfaction, but if the price was reasonable, I'd have someone else do it in the future. It's a big job. I also removed the front axle cause I sleeved it at the same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2945.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	140390
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it on TV..... it only took them 30 minutes with commercials and the guy was mostly talking How hard can it really be?

Seriously though.... gears is one job I wont ever try...... my guy does them for $250 per axle which is cheap in the New England states....
Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow thats a good price
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Love to try, but....

I would like to try installing them, and would probably get it right, eventually! I understand how it all works and if I had someone looking over my shoulder, like my brother in law in Ohio, I would. Since that is now going to happen, when the time comes, I'll pay to have them installed. I hope I can get both done for $1000 with gear sets and rebuild kits, but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Why not install your new gears yourself?