Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why not AEV?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftnauto
I run AEV complete kit and like it for the most part, but...I did replace upper and lower control arms in place of the brackets up front.
did you notice a big difference in the ride between the AEV drop brackets and using adjustable control arms in the stock mounts.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tommyfogarty
Well, without getting into tech (many people here know more than me, and based on my limited knowledge I like TerraFlex and Rock Krawler) I can tell you that I'll NEVER take AEV seriously again after noticing that they did a "product placement promo" on "The Bachelor" last night. I don't mind paying a bit extra for equipment if I think the $$ goes to research, product development and testing, but when a company thinks it's valuable to be featured on a network dating show, well, I'm out!!

haha unfortunately, I saw that as well... although the guy thats on the bachelor does drive a jku (at least thats what I saw in a commercial...) and there goes my man card.

Last edited by ShadowJKU; 01-30-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ftnauto
I run AEV complete kit and like it for the most part, but...I did replace upper and lower control arms in place of the brackets up front.
Originally Posted by ruchster65
did you notice a big difference in the ride between the AEV drop brackets and using adjustable control arms in the stock mounts.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyfogarty
Well, without getting into tech (many people here know more than me, and based on my limited knowledge I like TerraFlex and Rock Krawler) I can tell you that I'll NEVER take AEV seriously again after noticing that they did a "product placement promo" on "The Bachelor" last night. I don't mind paying a bit extra for equipment if I think the $$ goes to research, product development and testing, but when a company thinks it's valuable to be featured on a network dating show, well, I'm out!!
So you watch the bachelor show?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aldaman
Great that you are happy with the kit you chose. But on the other side of the spectrum, can some one explain how can having a lift kit that uses adjustable control arms sacrifice ride quality? In my previous posts I have used TF & RK lifts on my JKU and never had any complaints with on road DD

The ongoing debate being control arms brackets vs adj control arms in relation to ride quality....Thanks....
The only reason I could see the adjustable arms giving a more harsh ride is due to the removal of rubber bushings. Most of the adjustable arms come with Hiem joints or a harder poly bushing. That will change the ride quality to a degree however I personally think it rides better with less rubber deflection.

The hiems will allow for much better flex.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

The debate on road ride quality isn't comparing adjustable control arms to the brackets. It's comparing stock or adjustable control arms to the drop brackets. The drop brackets flatten the angle of the arms on a lifted rig. Arms on a lifted rig have a sharper angle. The theory on drop brackets is that large bumps in the road aren't as harsh and aren't transmitted through the chassis like arms at a steep angle would. Supposedly nose dive is much better on heavy braking with the brackets too.

Not starting a debate, just sharing what I've read.

Last edited by Ncb; 01-30-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

And I thought we all bought Jeeps so we can go to places where cars can't . Going with our eyes wide open understanding that our purchase meant we value terrain crossing over comfort and luxury. May I suggest Range Rover.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Aev

I have the AEV 3.5" DUALSPORT resivoir shock lift on my 2010 rubi. I am not saying any lift is better than the next, just my own experience. I towed my offroad popup camper from Michigan to Colorado 8000+ miles Jeep-trailer & all our gear we were over 7400lbs. the jeep handled perefect at all speeds and high winds on the plains, handled the trailer off road great no bottoming out or anything. I did a ton of offroading this year never hung up on brackets didnt even scratch them. I picked my lift up at there shop in mich. they gave me a tour they were in various stages of modifing half a dozen Jeeps all there equipment looked like it had been designed by Chrysler and fit flawlessly. I would have bought a frony and rear bumper from them if they offered them in aluminum.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01700.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	416317Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01698 - Copy.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	416318Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01340.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	416319Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03245.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	416320Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03246.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	416321
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
And I thought we all bought Jeeps so we can go to places where cars can't . Going with our eyes wide open understanding that our purchase meant we value terrain crossing over comfort and luxury. May I suggest Range Rover.
That's the thing though. The AEV lift doesn't really sacrifice off road prowess, especially without the geometry brackets. The fact that on-road ride is excellent is just a bonus in my eyes. I can't seem to find any info that AEV springs and such are bad. I could add adjustable LCA's, and ground clearance, etc., is the same as on any other lift. Right thinking?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OrthoDoc

That's the thing though. The AEV lift doesn't really sacrifice off road prowess, especially without the geometry brackets. The fact that on-road ride is excellent is just a bonus in my eyes. I can't seem to find any info that AEV springs and such are bad. I could add adjustable LCA's, and ground clearance, etc., is the same as on any other lift. Right thinking?
Ride quality is all subjective with so many variables. Tire rating; air pressure; springs; shock tune; road condition; ambient temperature; weight of jeep; load in jeep; what you ate for breakfast; speed, turns, ect.

Ride in a leaf-sprung jeep then in our JKs for a long ride. You will be happy with the coil springs.

If the rig is too stiff, lower your air pressure. Make your tire selection an All-terrain or street tire instead of a mudder. Everything we do to the rig will compromise something else. It's all a trade-off.

Seems like the best of both worlds is an expensive coil-over. But that will still not ride like a land yacht car.

Quick Reply: Why not AEV?