Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why not AEV?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not AEV?

I apologize up front if this thread is posted somewhere already; I just couldn't find it. If it is, please just send me the link! Thanks!

I am in the market for my first lift kit (yeah...new to this) so any and all advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Background on me/my jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - pretty much completely stock as of now. My jeep is my daily driver (90-95% on road driving with 10-5% offroad driving - please keep that in mind when recommending a lift kit).

I am looking at the AEV 3.5" lift and have read great things about it...but at the same time, I have also heard people say its too pricey for what you get, etc... and I was wondering why some say that, and overall, "Why not AEV?" or "Why AEV?" ...also, if you say "NO" to AEV, could you please include your recommended lift kit (looking to run 33s - 35s eventually)

Thanks! Again, sorry if this is already posted else where...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor

Don't really like the idea of using drop brackets for the front lower control arms... it makes it that much easier to get hung up on a rock. As for other lifts, we always try to go with Rock Krawler. Your not going to find many members with bad things to say about them.

Check out this link for installation pictures 2011 Jeep JK Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Lift Installation | Facebook

You may be interested in something more along the lines of the 2.5 Stock Mod or 2.5 Flex System from them.

Last edited by Smashboogie 4x4; 01-28-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the max tire size you plan to run is 35", than a 2.5" lift will do. If you flex a lot, flat fenders will clear those 35s if they rub. 3" lifts and above change the geometry so much that more parts are needed and have to be replaced or upgraded. The size of your lift should be determined by the tire size you want. And your tire size depends on what type of trail you plan to explore.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Don't really like the idea of using drop brackets for the front lower control arms... it makes it that much easier to get hung up on a rock. As for other lifts, we always try to go with Rock Krawler. Your not going to find many members with bad things to say about them.

Check out this link for installation pictures 2011 Jeep JK Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Lift Installation | Facebook

You may be interested in something more along the lines of the 2.5 Stock Mod or 2.5 Flex System from them.

How is the ride quality of the rock krawler systems? Even though I'd like the increased performance off road, my jeep will mainly be on road and ride quality will be a great factor.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
If the max tire size you plan to run is 35", than a 2.5" lift will do. If you flex a lot, flat fenders will clear those 35s if they rub. 3" lifts and above change the geometry so much that more parts are needed and have to be replaced or upgraded. The size of your lift should be determined by the tire size you want. And your tire size depends on what type of trail you plan to explore.
As of right now, I don't plan on going larger than 35s since it'll still be my daily driver for awhile... Thanks for the response! I know AEV makes a 2.5" kit, would you recommend that? or a different brand?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShadowJKU
How is the ride quality of the rock krawler systems? Even though I'd like the increased performance off road, my jeep will mainly be on road and ride quality will be a great factor.
Why not AEV? For me the kit is overpriced especially with having drop down brackets instead of aftermarket heavy duty replacement parts. On my '08 I ran the 2.5" TF coil lift with TF shocks and now with my '12 I am running the 2.5" RK stock mod with 5100 Bilstein shocks. Both rode great on road as well as offroad. What I don't get is how some say they prefer AEV for on road driving vs the other kits I mentioned/ran. I for one use my Jeep 90% of the time as a DD and the other offroading and I never had any complaints with daily driving. The Jeep(s) handled well. As far as ride quality, you can achieve that with:

Choosing the type of tire (load range A, B, C,D, E, etc)
Getting the right air pressure (28-30psi) worked well for me
Getting the right shocks for your driving habits..

Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Former Vendor

Our RK system rides great on the road!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aldaman
Why not AEV? For me the kit is overpriced especially with having drop down brackets instead of aftermarket heavy duty replacement parts. On my '08 I ran the 2.5" TF coil lift with TF shocks and now with my '12 I am running the 2.5" RK stock mod with 5100 Bilstein shocks. Both rode great on road as well as offroad. What I don't get is how some say they prefer AEV for on road driving vs the other kits I mentioned/ran. I for one use my Jeep 90% of the time as a DD and the other offroading and I never had any complaints with daily driving. The Jeep(s) handled well. As far as ride quality, you can achieve that with:

Choosing the type of tire (load range A, B, C,D, E, etc)
Getting the right air pressure (28-30psi) worked well for me
Getting the right shocks for your driving habits..

Thank you! That is what I am looking for - others who use as Daily Driver as well and their experiences!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Love my rough country 2.5 lift. Also the price is right!!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed a 3" BDS lift with Fox 2.0 shocks last week and couldn't be happier. Rides so much better although the lift was about the same price as the AEV.

Quick Reply: Why not AEV?