Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why no spare tire ?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relocating the weight from the jeep or removing the weight all together. It also helps with departure angles look at some videos you can see where the spate caught going down a ledge and damaged the tailgate of the jeep. I do not run a spare and probably won't.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-Dirt
I am confused here, are you saying its good or bad without a spare on the back for offroading purposes?
It is essential to have a spare. However it's a catch 22 for built rigs and especially 2-doors. Between my rear bumper + swing carrier + spare + hi-lift I have 350 lbs of leverage behind my rear axle. This causes the front wheels to lift on steep inclines or ledges and can cause real butt puckers.

If I ever did Moab or Rubicon type trails the best place for spare is on floor behind front seats.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

I run no spare for the weight savings while running 3.21 gears...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I lost a tire on a trail once. Spare tires are essential.

When I lost the tire was in a stream bed and the tire was coated with mud. I agree that the inside is a practical place for the tire, but I was glad I did not have to have the stinky mess inside my rig.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

I like the look of no spare around town. On trails rock crawling I have my spare 37" MTR riding strapped down centered over my frame directly behind my front seats of my 4door. This keeps my weight better centered and I don't catch that spare dropping of ledges to brake something out back. Much better clearance in back without it there.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

I couldn't stand to spend the extra $530 for tire and wheel #5. Plus I love the way it looks without. Twenty years of off roading, I've never had a tire go flat. It's always something else that causes problems. Plus, like someone already mentioned, lot of videos of those spares getting hung and causing damage. Who knows, at this point, maybe I'm pushing my luck...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NuRVers
I run with my spare inside - for now. I have not found a bumper/tire carrier combo, and won't put my 35" spare on the OEM carrier.
X2........
Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
It is essential to have a spare. However it's a catch 22 for built rigs and especially 2-doors. Between my rear bumper + swing carrier + spare + hi-lift I have 350 lbs of leverage behind my rear axle. This causes the front wheels to lift on steep inclines or ledges and can cause real butt puckers.

If I ever did Moab or Rubicon type trails the best place for spare is on floor behind front seats.
Yeah, every time i am not just running around town, I have my spare put in the bed of my 2 door. Luckly i dont need rear seats, so i have that room available. But i understand now what you are saying. Makes perfect sense.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

it also depends on where you're running. if you're on lots a rocks and there high potential for tearing the sidewall, then YES carry a spare. at the very least has some sort of aggreement with your trailmates on whos carrying spares and whos carrying tools.

if you don't carry a spare at least carry a plug kit and compressor.

personally, I like the look of no spare and will probbaly go to it for around town use. when wheeling, I'll tie it down in the back
Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always just put it on the hood like the Britts do.....

Quick Reply: Why no spare tire ?