Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why no spare tire ?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no spare tire ?

I see that some jeepers go with no spare tire. When doing so they put a plate there instead. Doesn't seem like they will be hanging the spare at all.

Basically my question is what r some of the reasons people may do this other then of they r currently using their spare.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run with my spare inside - for now. I have not found a bumper/tire carrier combo, and won't put my 35" spare on the OEM carrier.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bingbola
I see that some jeepers go with no spare tire. When doing so they put a plate there instead. Doesn't seem like they will be hanging the spare at all.

Basically my question is what r some of the reasons people may do this other then of they r currently using their spare.
Some people like the look of it while others do it Because they don't have a rear bumper and tire carrier
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Lowers your center of gravity.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
Lowers your center of gravity.
What do u mean it lowers ur center of gravity? With the spare on u mean right?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

cool or not, you need a spare. the guy with out one become the weak link on your trip. If you all run the same bolt pattern-great,but eventually someone will be leaving their rig on the trail. Spare=cheap insurance.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

I did it because I didnt want to spend 1,000 dollars on a tire carrier yet, but i no longer wanted the stress on my tailgate/ stock spare holder with my heavy wheel and tire. So i changed up the look for now, and i run with the spare in the back when i feel i may need it (trips, off roading, long drives, etc). You can somewhat tell a difference with the way the jeep feels without 80-100lbs hanging on the tailgate.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red-Dirt
I did it because I didnt want to spend 1,000 dollars on a tire carrier yet, but i no longer wanted the stress on my tailgate/ stock spare holder with my heavy wheel and tire. So i changed up the look for now, and run with the spare in the back when i feel i may need it. You can somewhat tell a difference with the way the jeep feels without 80-100lbs hanging on the tailgate.
Crawl up a 45 degree rock ledge and it will feel less tipsy without a 100lb spare. That is lots of leverage behind the rear axle.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Great info guys keep it coming.

Also if u have pix of ur particular set ups that would be great too.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
Crawl up a 45 degree rock ledge and it will feel less tipsy without a 100lb spare. That is lots of leverage behind the rear axle.
I am confused here, are you saying its good or bad without a spare on the back for offroading purposes?

Quick Reply: Why no spare tire ?