Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

why my wife should NEVER leave me alone at home.........

Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why my wife should NEVER leave me alone at home.........

I took a hard top and did this.........

I cleaned up the cut......

And then test fit.......

Some time ago I sold my hard top for $1400 and have been running just a softtop. Then last weekend I saw a hard top for sale for $500 with some damage. I offered $300 and brought it home. When I had my hardtop I really liked the freedom panels, but wished it covered the kids, when I found another hardtop I made one that did what I wanted. I'm not overly concerned with weather as my JK is a trail toy/weekend cruiser only. I still have some clean up to do to finish the project (to include repainting inside and out), but am very happy with the outcome so far.

Below added to answer questions posted through out this thread..........................

1. I am wheeling this next weekend (6/7 and 6/8) so it will be the following weekend before I can finish up the detail work. Once the detail work (clean up, sanding edge, paint, etc....) is complete I will take lots of pictures for everyone asking for pictures from different angles.

2. The rear section is secured by the two bolts at the front as well as two new added nuts, bolts, and fender washers about 2" behind the locating pin on the rearward horizontal support.

3. My only current concern is how much side to side support it might have once the door are removed. With the doors on there is ZERO movement, but I will check it and stiffen it up with bracing if needed.

4. I have no intention of closing in the back to protect from bad weather. I have 2 other vehicles if the weather is an issue. I am considering a panel to block the wind (I can't think of the name right now, but I know Bestop and several other make them).

5. The Jeep has a 3" FT Ultimate lift w/ the HD springs, as well as a M.O.R.E. 1" body lift. All clearing a set of 37" BFG M/T's.

UPDATE - MORE PICTURES ADDED 7/13

Here are a couple of pictures I took this morning showing the top from different angles. Sorry for no wheeling pics, but I don't usually wheel with a top or doors on. About the only negative thing todate is when cruising down the high way at speed there is alot of wind sucked in from behind you. With the windows down this does not occur. I am considering a windjammer, but haven't really decided if it is that big of a deal.

Last edited by Duke; 07-13-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Badass!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I Love It.

Looks great, any photos from the rear ?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boots
Looks great, any photos from the rear ?
No. I just did it this afternoon and then pulled it off to finish the cut edge as well as paint it inside and out. I'm wheeling next weekend so I won't have a chance to complete it and reinstall it until the weekend after next.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that esp for the price. Looks like you made 3 or 4 cuts. Why half the window first and then riht up to the pillar.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flyer415
I really like that esp for the price. Looks like you made 3 or 4 cuts. Why half the window first and then riht up to the pillar.

I wanted to get in close in the area I was working for the final (real) cut, so I simply did a real quick cut just beyond the work area. The first cut took all of 20 seconds with the sawsall. The real cut took 20 minutes with the cutoff tool as I wanted it to be straight, clean, etc......
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. me
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Duke
No. I just did it this afternoon and then pulled it off to finish the cut edge as well as paint it inside and out. I'm wheeling next weekend so I won't have a chance to complete it and reinstall it until the weekend after next.

Would like to see how you finished off the cut and the opening left from the double wall area's.

This is a great idea, I might just need to look for another hardtop to play with "Great Job" Duke.

In fact, I just used one of your photo's as my computer background................

Last edited by boots; 06-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boots
Would like to see how you finished off the cut and the opening left from the double wall area's.
In the area I cut there is only a small area (3/4"x2") on each side that is double walled. I plan to fill the cavity and then paint the whole think. Before I came inside a few minutes ago I primed the whole thing (inside and out) and the area almost visually disappeared. I am reasonably comfortable that when I am done only a trained eye would even be able to see that the cut did expose a double walled area.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi

Looks good!