Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why is my e-brake light on?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my e-brake light on?

My e-brake light has been acting funny ever since I put the lift on. The light will come randomly when I'm driving. It chimes and then stays on for a bit then shuts off. It does it as many as four times on/ off during a 20 min drive. The brake itself works fine. Plugged everything back in when done with the lift.
Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0478.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	239418  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same thing, the light would come on then go out, then it just stayed on. I checked everything except for one thing, the brake fluid. It was low, I topped it off and the light went out..
Old 11-20-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

An ABS problem can illuminate the brake indicator, too.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Look under the back on the tub, there are two wire hooks hanging down that hold you e-brake cables in place.. see if they are pulled tight since you lifted the jeep.. if they are then remove the cables and rebend the wire hook so they aren't to tight
I did unhook the cables from the hooks. Although, I don't know if anything is really holding them now?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Take it in ?! I cringed at the thought. I hope that doesn't happen. Thanks for the help though.
Actually, arcoleman mentioned checking the brake fluid. I suppose that's a good place to start. I'll go do that. I'll feel pretty stupid if that's the solution. But at the same time thrilled if the fix is that easy.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

That light drove me nuts and was about to take it in. I checked everything else and that was finally the last thing I checked. I was releived that it was just low on fluid and I didnt have to take it to the stealership, but I did fill pretty silly....
Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The brake sensor in your console could also be bad or dinged. Remove the bolts holding the sides of the console. Remove the rear cupholder and working from the rear footwells, lift up the console to get at the brake lever. The sensor is on the left side down near the bottom. Just a single wire going to a copper contacter. That little sensor can get out of line and cause a light as well. You may also be able to get at it from the top of your console as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JKcondrey
The brake sensor in your console could also be bad or dinged. Remove the bolts holding the sides of the console. Remove the rear cupholder and working from the rear footwells, lift up the console to get at the brake lever. The sensor is on the left side down near the bottom. Just a single wire going to a copper contacter. That little sensor can get out of line and cause a light as well. You may also be able to get at it from the top of your console as well.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by arcoleman
Had the same thing, the light would come on then go out, then it just stayed on. I checked everything except for one thing, the brake fluid. It was low, I topped it off and the light went out..
And we have a winner!
Didn't think this would be a problem because I just bled the brakes last month when I did the lift. But... it was indeed the problem. The light has been off all day now.
Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Why is my e-brake light on?