Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

why get a V8 engine swap

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
I had my 5.7vvt done 3 years ago complete turnkey, for $19k with the AEV kit, a new crate motor and new transmission including all parts and labor. It was a clean install and I have 40k miles on it with no problems. I live at high altitude and have a heavy rig, and the 2010 v6 was simply not able to keep up, no matter what I did. I had a Rubi so stock axles were fine, drove with them hemi powered for over 20k miles, but I ended up swapping them for PR44 front and D60 rear with new driveshafts, RCVs, etc. This was overkill, but I go on long off-road trips and like to drive hard and fast and never want to think about failures. I would think you would want to at least upgrade your front axle to a 44. When you crunch the numbers, don't forget there are quite a few Mopar parts required for the swap that kits don't include. I would highly recommend you get an experienced shop to do it. There are some great ones here in Colorado, mine took one week.
If you come from a racing or muscle car background, you will be quite pleased with a V8 swap,. It completely changes the JK driving experience.
BTW, I averaged 15mpg with the V6 up here at 8000ft altitude. I Average 13 with the V8.
Finally, be careful what you read on the internet. A lot of people giving advice on swaps have never done one or owned one. Many different configurations complicate things. An early hemi swap behaves differently than a vvt. A truck 5.7vvt is different then one from an SUV. Each LS has different properties and some suited better for JKs. Transmission choice can make all the difference in performance. Tuning/programming is critical. This is where a good shop can help you.

ShakyJake,

That is an excellent & informative post. I'm going to be doing the same swap soon. If your a motor head not much else will do. Some folks are happy with the Pentastar but up here it's a dog plus you have to gear the crap out of your rig to have any acceleration at all. Personal satisfaction and enjoyment for me is what it's about.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure, the 3.8 can provide the necessary power for a electric motor... but it would burn more oil, clog up the electric motor, start a fire and burn your jeep down.

I am already budgeting for a LS engine next year. So far, its looks like it will set me back about 6.5k. I am finding the engine, tranny, and transfer case pretty cheap (2k for all) and i can buy the electical piece for about 2k. That leaves me with some odds and ends plus a buffer and you are at 6.5K
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I am sure, the 3.8 can provide the necessary power for a electric motor... but it would burn more oil, clog up the electric motor, start a fire and burn your jeep down.

I am already budgeting for a LS engine next year. So far, its looks like it will set me back about 6.5k. I am finding the engine, tranny, and transfer case pretty cheap (2k for all) and i can buy the electical piece for about 2k. That leaves me with some odds and ends plus a buffer and you are at 6.5K
I am guesing you are looking for 5.3s? And as for electrical do plan to retain all of the factory electronics?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default V6 capabilities

Now I do plan to swap out for a V8 but I am looking at putting on 35's first. Is the V6 capable of running 35's? I will re gearing to accommodate the lost. 35 are going to be the biggest I plan on going. My jeep is my DD.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK09TX
Now I do plan to swap out for a V8 but I am looking at putting on 35's first. Is the V6 capable of running 35's? I will re gearing to accommodate the lost. 35 are going to be the biggest I plan on going. My jeep is my DD.
Geared your fine. Just dont expect a night and day difference. It will gain you some power but dont expect crazy torque. Im running 37's on 4.88's with a 3.8 auto. Yes im running a Supercharger but its coming off sunday. Go for it!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Yes the v6 are capable if running 35s. I do on my 3.8. Let's think $1200-$2k to regear or $15+ for v8 swap and you still will probably regear. You will be fine with stock engine and 35s.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
I am guesing you are looking for 5.3s? And as for electrical do plan to retain all of the factory electronics?

I would be running two CPU's. One for the engine and one for the ESP. There is a company that sells the wire kit for 1800. A bit pricing, but it includes the brain.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

I would throw those 35s on there before you even need to think of regearing to see how it rides first. I am very happy with my 35s and 4.10 stock gears. Just a thought. Personally I would not do an engine swap unless you go to 1 tons and bigger tires.

One that note above I am swapping in a D60HD front and a Sterling 10.25 in the rear with 40 or 42s this summer and switch my suspension out with ORI struts and TeraFlex long arm conversion. Already worried about how it will feel specially since I like to use this as my daily driver. (jeeps are always the most fun to drive) For those of you already running 1 tons; Do you think the on street ride sucks because of the extra weight? Or who has done a swap and is it worth it off the bat or wait to run current engine out then do a swap?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I would be running two CPU's. One for the engine and one for the ESP. There is a company that sells the wire kit for 1800. A bit pricing, but it includes the brain.
What company is that?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input after thinking about it does sound like a good plan. I love LS motors but I was quoted by motech $15000 and it is not even a new engine. Has anyone had theirs done by AEV I saw the DIY kit is $6000, Does anyone know how much it will cost for labor? I am think about an engine swap before I put 35's. Also with a V8 will the axles be able to support a V8 or is that another upgrade that needs to be purchased? I have dana 44 on the rear and 30 on the front.
That is because the price is including the R&D, tuning, and warranty. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. I have 20k miles on a LSx 6.0 swap from MoTech and have had no issues at all. It has comparable performance to a Chevy Tahoe.

Quick Reply: why get a V8 engine swap