Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

why get a V8 engine swap

Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
I saw the Hemi mentioned here. The Corvette LS engines are more suitable on a JK, as they are lighter, don't tend to overheat like the Hemi, and don't crowd the engine bay as much as the Hemi does.
Even the "weakest" LS has plenty of power for a Jeep.
Ive done some reading on the ls swaps and they seem to be the same price range as the hemi and look to be on a stand alone system so you have to have wiring and ecu just for the ls plus have all the jk cpu stuff. The hemi is more plug n play for the diy people
Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EsByrd
Ive done some reading on the ls swaps and they seem to be the same price range as the hemi and look to be on a stand alone system so you have to have wiring and ecu just for the ls plus have all the jk cpu stuff. The hemi is more plug n play for the diy people
Simpler, but not quite problem free from what I see. In any case, I don't lack power with the 285bhp Pentastar and its new gearbox... It's always nice to have more power and the torque of a V8, but I don't think that swapping it a better idea - or justified - when the 3.6L is available.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Simpler, but not quite problem free from what I see. In any case, I don't lack power with the 285bhp Pentastar and its new gearbox... It's always nice to have more power and the torque of a V8, but I don't think that swapping it a better idea than "swapping" to the 3.6L .
Just about all aftermarket solutions lack oem dependability but that being said id still love it for the cool factor whether it be a hemi, ls, or my personal choice diesel.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Just about all aftermarket solutions lack oem dependability but that being said id still love it for the cool factor whether it be a hemi, ls, or my personal choice diesel.
...you can get even more power & torque from electric motors...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

...you can get even more power & torque from electric motors...
Lol true, lets do a tesla model s swap so we can outrun zo6 vettes and get 270 miles to a charge that eqauls 11 cents to a mile compared to me getting 25cents a mile right now
Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 36Fan
Labor adds up So does making it smog legal.
we are doing it ourselves and it wont be smog legal haha.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 AM
JK Junkie

Lol true, lets do a tesla model s swap so we can outrun zo6 vettes and get 270 miles to a charge that eqauls 11 cents to a mile compared to me getting 25cents a mile right now
Making it sound like a V8, respectively to pedal pressure / engine effort, may be tricky...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default How much does it cost?

Thanks for the input after thinking about it does sound like a good plan. I love LS motors but I was quoted by motech $15000 and it is not even a new engine. Has anyone had theirs done by AEV I saw the DIY kit is $6000, Does anyone know how much it will cost for labor? I am think about an engine swap before I put 35's. Also with a V8 will the axles be able to support a V8 or is that another upgrade that needs to be purchased? I have dana 44 on the rear and 30 on the front.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK09TX
Thanks for the input after thinking about it does sound like a good plan. I love LS motors but I was quoted by motech $15000 and it is not even a new engine. Has anyone had theirs done by AEV I saw the DIY kit is $6000, Does anyone know how much it will cost for labor? I am think about an engine swap before I put 35's. Also with a V8 will the axles be able to support a V8 or is that another upgrade that needs to be purchased? I have dana 44 on the rear and 30 on the front.
Anytime you add that much power to a drivetrain designed for what lil it gets now, your gonna have to beef it up to handle the added stress
Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK09TX
I had my 5.7vvt done 3 years ago complete turnkey, for $19k with the AEV kit, a new crate motor and new transmission including all parts and labor. It was a clean install and I have 40k miles on it with no problems. I live at high altitude and have a heavy rig, and the 2010 v6 was simply not able to keep up, no matter what I did. I had a Rubi so stock axles were fine, drove with them hemi powered for over 20k miles, but I ended up swapping them for PR44 front and D60 rear with new driveshafts, RCVs, etc. This was overkill, but I go on long off-road trips and like to drive hard and fast and never want to think about failures. I would think you would want to at least upgrade your front axle to a 44. When you crunch the numbers, don't forget there are quite a few Mopar parts required for the swap that kits don't include. I would highly recommend you get an experienced shop to do it. There are some great ones here in Colorado, mine took one week.
If you come from a racing or muscle car background, you will be quite pleased with a V8 swap,. It completely changes the JK driving experience.
BTW, I averaged 15mpg with the V6 up here at 8000ft altitude. I Average 13 with the V8.
Finally, be careful what you read on the internet. A lot of people giving advice on swaps have never done one or owned one. Many different configurations complicate things. An early hemi swap behaves differently than a vvt. A truck 5.7vvt is different then one from an SUV. Each LS has different properties and some suited better for JKs. Transmission choice can make all the difference in performance. Tuning/programming is critical. This is where a good shop can help you.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 04-09-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Quick Reply: why get a V8 engine swap