Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why does a lift and larger tires help so much?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So accoding to some, a lifted jeep gets better traction than a locked non lifted? How is that ever possible? Since I was in a lifted TJ with open diffs and another guy was in one with with lockers and he was able to to obstacles I wasn't, the reason must be my driving ability? Doubtful. I'm not saying clearence isn't important, but I will take a locked, stock suspension vehicle over a lifted, open diff any day.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKcarp
So accoding to some, a lifted jeep gets better traction than a locked non lifted? How is that ever possible? Since I was in a lifted TJ with open diffs and another guy was in one with with lockers and he was able to to obstacles I wasn't, the reason must be my driving ability? Doubtful. I'm not saying clearence isn't important, but I will take a locked, stock suspension vehicle over a lifted, open diff any day.
no, that is NOT what is being said.

a vehicle with bigger tires will have ground clearance, approach, departure and breakover that allows them to go OVER obstacles that a non-big tired jeep would require a locker for That is what is being said.

example:
a simple squared up ledge or log.
The ledge is 16 inches tall and undercut so "bump hitting" it will not work.
33" tire jeep will get up the ledge
a 30" tire jeep will not unless they use a locker.

Clearance is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING !!! 1 inch of rock on your axle tube will stop you dead, lockers or not.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok, I'll give you that.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

This could be debated all day long..........everyone has there preferences, alot depends on the driver and how well he knows his vehicle. Everyones got that "time" when they were able to show up someone that had more mods on their vehicle. There are way too many factors that come into play. For those of you that have truly wheeled im sure you have tried an obstacle a couple of times with no success and then backed up and just changed your line a couple of inches or hit the gas at a different time and ended up walking right up it........Im saying that if two vehicles go up the exact same obstacle there is a 99% chance that they dont take the exact same line in the same way. There are just too many variables. But I would love to see two people on the board, one with a rubicon on 36's(staying unlocked) and one on 32's(able to use lockers) with the same type of tires duke it out.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by putnam dan
It seems to me that this discussion is comparing bananas to oranges - both good but different.
Bananas have a higher breakover angle
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Just wanted to point out that LOCKERS are not what the OP was asking about... the question is, WHY does a lift and larger tires help so much? The answer is that the added elevation and associated improvement in angles allow you to clear larger obstacles.

Just remember that while you'll have a lesser probability of getting high-centered, but you'll have a great probability of rolling on a steep side grade... and driving skill is the best mod you can get, as another poster wrote here.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Just wanted to point out that LOCKERS are not what the OP was asking about... the question is, WHY does a lift and larger tires help so much? The answer is that the added elevation and associated improvement in angles allow you to clear larger obstacles.

Just remember that while you'll have a lesser probability of getting high-centered, but you'll have a great probability of rolling on a steep side grade... and driving skill is the best mod you can get, as another poster wrote here.
4 pages later
Old 06-22-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

My confusion..

Dealers wont warranty our vehicles due to the fact we have offroaded them.. Then why in the hell install factory front and rear lockers.. ??? (RUBI).. When would you use them on the street.. for everyday running around town....???????
Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
My confusion..

Dealers wont warranty our vehicles due to the fact we have offroaded them..
your dealer sucks.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why does a lift and larger tires help so much?

welll DUH!

because fat chicks cant jump. that's why. problem solved. done, finito, kaput.

*walks away whistling*

Quick Reply: Why does a lift and larger tires help so much?