Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why does a lift and larger tires help so much?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKcarp
Lockers should be the first mod if you don't have them already. They will help you more than anything else. .
no.

Learning to DRIVE is your first "mod". If a TJ on 31's with a locker was kicking your ass then you may wish to re-evaluate your driving abilities.
There is not a trail I have EVER been on where a locked 31" vehicle would do better than me unlocked on 35's

Unless that trail was like paved or something.

A inexperienced driver with lockers will get themselves in more trouble than anything....well a inexperienced driver with lockers AND a winch will get themselves in situations you would not believe

Drive what you have and upgrade with your learning curve.
Take a comp buggy and a open diff CJ-5 with a carb and switch drivers and I bet you anything the comp driver would own the other.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk-rubicon
What about turning scenarios? In my experience I can't turn as sharp with my locker on. This has only been my experience on two vechicles I have had - not sure if they applies to all vehicles with lockers.

What about scenarios where you are going fast? Are there differnt types of lockers for four high?

What about if you want to spin your tires real fast and get mud on your vehicle? In theory maybe un-locked would give you better results.
You are correct about not being able to turn as sharp with the lockers engaged, if you have a selectable locker it is most of the time easier to get your "line" with it disengaged and then engage it when your ready to go.....

In desert racing such as the Baja, alot of vehicles dont even run a front locker, and if they do - most run a selectable one. This comes in handy when you get caught up in the deep silt. As far as when you are going "fast" momentum will most of the time carry you through in a desert/dirt racing scenario. In mud, its a different story to where you would want a front locker engaged. I would say that in all situations a full time rear locker can help more than harm. (unless your running a rear-steer buggy navigating through tight cones, in which a selectable would most likely be preferred)

I think we got way off topic but, some good conversation has come out of it.....
Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Drive what you have and upgrade with your learning curve.
Take a comp buggy and a open diff CJ-5 with a carb and switch drivers and I bet you anything the comp driver would own the other.
A little over the top, but your point is understood......
Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PhilD
Most desert racing rigs are 2WD.
that would put them without a front locker............
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

also put them without a diff to put one in
naa they can put one in, it would just roll around the passenger floorboard and get annoying after a while
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKcarp
Lockers should be the first mod if you don't have them already. They will help you more than anything else.

I remember I had 35"s on my TJ and went trail riding. This other guy had 31"s on his TJ and kicked my ass. I installed lockers shortly after. I agree that departure/approach angles are important, but lockers help much more.
Lockers and big tires are nice, but generally they just tend to get you deeper in before you get stuck. The most important thing is having a way to get unstuck. A winch or highlift jack with tow straps and riggings is the best mod you can do for yourself. Be perpared!

My young (21 year old) brother-in-law got way back into a place and got stuck with his TJ with no doors or top. And of course it began to rain. Needless to say, we did not have the proper recovery gear to get him out. So the Jeep spent the night in the rain with no doors or top. We came back the next day and used a highlift jack to get him out. After getting him out I asked him if he learned anything from getting stuck. His response was "I need bigger tires and some lockers". I just rolled my eyes in disgust.

Not all was lost, I did convince him to buy a 8,000lb Harbor Freight winch. Since then, it has pulled him out two more times. That $299 he spent has been priceless.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

actually baja trucks are 4wheel drive....when gas is applied heavily, the 4wheel drive is engaged, when you let off the gas, it goes into 2wheel drive. It does this so the drivers can sling the back end around turns and then give it gas to bring it straight on the track again....a very usefull feature and its pretty cool if you have ever been to a race

I would also think that it depends on the terrain you are on...if you live in a place where there are no rocks, i would think a locker would help alot more then a lift..simply because you can break through dirt/mud. bottoming out and as long as you have momentum,,,you will be fine most of the time...on the rocks...i would think you need both...more so the lift so you dont get hung up and not be able to move at all

Last edited by bofer84; 06-21-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I regularly see a buddy's 4.5" lifted TJ with no lockers go places that a stock TJ Rubi cannot follow due to clearance issues. I've never seen this lifted TJ not be able to follow a stock Rubi. Lockers help, a lift helps more.

I've experienced the complete opposite. I sat on a trail behind a guy that was really stuck but had superior traction on the left front and right rear tire. The right front was spinning in mud and the left rear was spinning up in the air. It had open diffs, 35s and a 6" lift. I hit the rear locker and had no problem through the same section.

I think that both sides are correct. If the terrain has limited traction and/or tires leave the ground then lockers will work better, if it calls for ground clearance and approach/departure angles, the lifted vehicle will be better.

Lifted + Big Tires + Lockers are the best (at a bare minimum on 1 end of the vehicle if cost is an issue).
Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lightning
I've experienced the complete opposite. I sat on a trail behind a guy that was really stuck but had superior traction on the left front and right rear tire. The right front was spinning in mud and the left rear was spinning up in the air. It had open diffs, 35s and a 6" lift. I hit the rear locker and had no problem through the same section.

I think that both sides are correct. If the terrain has limited traction and/or tires leave the ground then lockers will work better, if it calls for ground clearance and approach/departure angles, the lifted vehicle will be better.

Lifted + Big Tires + Lockers are the best (at a bare minimum on 1 end of the vehicle if cost is an issue).
once again:
Learning to drive.

If he did some brake or e-brake modulation he may have made it
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Build the rig for the trail...if you have doubts about making it through a certain area with your rig, dont take it there unless you are prepared for the worst...getting stuck and having to drag your rig out with or without damage.

I will likely spool the rear diff, and get around the turning issue mentioned with a 2 stick TC...I have seen some slick moves performed with a "front dig" or rear spin using an Atlas, where you would have thought it was impossible to get the Jeep turned the right way.

The best way to find out if you need to go higher, or bigger, or get lockers, or whatever, is to get out there and wheel it. Recovery gear and not wheeling alone (always have a rig on the trail that can make it through for sure and get you out) is the key to not getting stranded because you picked a trail that owned your rig instead of the other way around.

Quick Reply: Why does a lift and larger tires help so much?