Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why does DW go away in 4WD?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one piece of info missing is if the DW is caused at a certian speed everytime or if its from a bump on the road
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I am starting to get a wobble up front as well...It usually starts after hitting a bump. The steering wheel shakes violently, it feels like both front tires have gone flat. The shaking does not stop until the vehicle slows to a crawl.

Last night I checkedthe tourque on the track bar and sway bars. Everything seemed fine. I had the wife turn the steering wheel from side to side and didnt see anything messed up (like a wollowed out hole). I dont know what to even check next...how do you tell if ball joints are bad?? What else can I look for?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all those with DW, I HIGHLY recommend you file a safety complaint here..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is a safety concern but I don't see why a complaint needs to be filed. Most of the causes for DW are from loose, worn or damaged components. Now if the majority of the problems were mileage specific and had only one cause, then a complaint would be justified. But given that DW happens on a number of different vehicles with a solid front axle at different mileages and most of the time on Modified vehicles. I don't think anything would be accomplished by filling out the form.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by abock33
I know this is a safety concern but I don't see why a complaint needs to be filed. Most of the causes for DW are from loose, worn or damaged components. Now if the majority of the problems were mileage specific and had only one cause, then a complaint would be justified. But given that DW happens on a number of different vehicles with a solid front axle at different mileages and most of the time on Modified vehicles. I don't think anything would be accomplished by filling out the form.
You fill out the form because it's DANGEROUS, I've owned many vehicles and none of them tried to kill me the second one part got worn.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Mine is fixed. It was loose bolts on the AEV front track bolt high steer assembly.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by abock33
x2. DW is going to happen with solid axle vehicles, it is just the nature of having a solid axle. It is easy to diagnose if u go through list and easy to fix. and most of the time its due to us modifying our vehicle when we dont know what the hell we are doing, how is that Jeeps fault? I guess u could could complain, who knows if enough people complain, maybe they will eliminate the solid axle and go to IFS.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
x2. Snip snip...I guess u could could complain, who knows if enough people complain, maybe they will eliminate the solid axle and go to IFS.
TAKE IT BACK! TAKE IT BACK! That's Jeep blasphemy.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Just so u guys know, that post above was dripping with sarcasm.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi

Update... I met mike today and I found 3 issues that might be doing it..
Both track bars jam nuts were not tight at all. And the rear is quite a bit off center.. like 20 mm. We went to adjust rear and its completly seized. We heated the snot out of it, lubed to the Max and its done. So we tightened the front n rear jam nuts, but he needs a new rear bar to center the axle.
Front is centered and caster is 5. Btw his Jeep is dam sweet!!!!!!!!!
So hopefully were on the right track.
sent from DroiD.

Quick Reply: Why does DW go away in 4WD?